How many hours of practice will it take me before I know I'm worthy of charging for a quilt.

I really want to get my buisness off the ground. Just how much time do you think someone needs to have under their belt to be really good. I want to perfect my feather work. I'm not very good at picking out the designs and what sould go where.

How many patterens should I have on hand before I begin????So many questions...Is anyone in the Twin Cities Area?

I'll look forward to some feedback...

Thanks Marcia

Guest Linda S

On what type of quilting you want to offer. If you are content with offering simple meander and maybe some simple pantographs to clients, you can be ready to do that in fairly short order. If you want to be ready to do everything, from simple to custom when you open your doors, it will take a bit longer. It also depends on what type of experience you've had before hand. I did several quilts on my DSM before I got my Liberty and I found that it helped me immensely. However, I thought I would never be able to do feathers. Then, one day, it just came to me. Of course, this was after tons of practice and drawing, drawing, drawing. I now draw them everywhere! I still probably would not feel really comfortable taking someone's fancy quilt and quilting it if they were entering it in a show with nice custom work. I'm getting there, but for now, doing a nice job making my customers' bed quilts and wall hangings is good enough for me.

Linda

Take a look at your work. I did one really large PPP (some good, some bad, most ugly). This gave me an opportunity to learn the machine, threading, tension, etc.

When you are comfortable, put one of your own quilts on (big, small, what-ever), and quilt it the way you would do a customer quilt. Then ask a friend or friends to look at it, and see what they say. Lay it out, look at it, let folks see it. If you are not happy, PPP some more. I did my huge PPP, one of mine, then a customer quilt, then another customer quilt, then 2 more of mine (and keep in mind that these are different sizes...wall hanging, queen, full, twin) Once you break that "fear factor", you are off!

Good luck, and welcome to the group!

Cynthia

Does your local quilt guild do Charity quilts? These are great stepping off quilts to practice on. The first one I received, sat on the machine for a week before I could get the courage to take a stitch.

Once I got past a few of those, then that first customer quilt comes! Talk about panic! That one sat on the machine for a week also, until my DH goaded me into starting it (not to mention that the customer wanted her quilt back in this lifetime).

Charity quilts are also a great for trying out new techniques or new pantos. Usually the person in charge of charity quilts is hunting for someone to quilt all the quilts.

I agree with Betty, find area churches who have quilting quilds. Offer to quilt if they purchase the thread and batting. I offer my time. I also am practicing on muslin top on muslin bottom, sew binding on to finish it off. I then will donate the quilts to the world relief project we have at our Church.

Where to start... start with simple pantos... you will be able to tell when you are ready to graduate to the next level!! Then again, Practice Practice!!

;)

Jan

Shadywood,

I can relate to having your husband help you get going sometimes. If it wasn't for my husband stopping me from having some temper tantrums because not every quilt comes out perfect I don't think I would of ever finished my Christmas presents this year. Just when I am almost proud of myself and one quilt turns out nice I did a second quilt the exact same and nothing went right and I changed absolutely nothing. I don't think I am the only one that this happens to. I am very glad to see that I am not the only one with these feelings. I guess we are all hoping for that day we can be happy with all the quilts we do. I am hoping it doesn't take to much longer. haha!

KIm:D

Archived