ruler storage?

I use a mail sorter?  It is the kind of thing that has, I think, 4 or 5 divisions.  I have a small one that I use for my small rulers and boomerangs and then a larger one that is "stepped", kind of like theater seating, for my longer rulers. It isn't the best way to be organized, but at least I know where to look to find them.

I had posted before about a wooden tool box my son was going to throw away.  I painted it white, and since it is so long, I put it behind my sewing machine, near my Tiara, and keep my rulers in it.  It has a little shallow shelf, for small things, and a deep one good for wide and long rulers.  I love it and find it handy.  I am going to try to post a picture of it here, as well as a crazy quilt pillow I made, using examples from the book by Brian Haggard, called, "Crazy Quilted Memories."  I started with an embroidered design instead of a photo.  He uses vintage photos for his and I am going to do that eventually.  I also began using hand embroidery on this pillow like he does in his book, to accentuate it.  I also tried something new; the design has 22 colors and my embroidery machine only has 12 needles.  So I put on the first 12 colors and hooped 3 pieces of fabric.  Luckily I have 3 big hoops.  Then I stitched the first part of the design 3 times.  Then I loaded the next 10 colors, put each hoop back in, and did the next 10 colors 3 times.  In one of the hoops the fabric moved a little and you can tell if you look closely.  I kept that one for me, but the other 2 look perfect and I will use them for gifts.  I did this so I would not have to load the same colors 3 times.  I think this will save time because if I do a complicated design, I like to do it more than once, so I have it to make a gift with, or some other project.  I will stabilize my fabric better next time to make sure nothing shifts.

post-44468-0-16702100-1397239095_thumb.jpg

post-44468-0-60687500-1397239107_thumb.jpg

post-44468-0-40654600-1397239128_thumb.jpg

post-44468-0-12074300-1397239144_thumb.jpg

I store mine in an old dresser that we weren't using.  I use one drawer for the rulers, one for marking supplies and paper templates, one for stencils...works real well and I usually  ^_^ can find what I am looking for.

My husband took a pretty piece of wood (oak) about 1" thick and you could make it as long or wide as you want.  With the table saw he cut grooves in it the long ways (you can buy these ruler holders) but . . . I could have him cut them as wide as I wanted and as close together as I wanted.  The rulers/templates slip in the groove and are stored upright (doesn't take a lot of room either).

Love those organizers. 

Trouble is, I have very little wall space. At present, am using one of the mail sorter-type things...though, it's a 'pretty' one made of wire with a daisy design rather than the office industrial look. Fortunately, I don't have that many rulers and things to store. It also holds the French curve and etc, too.

Scissors and rotary cutters, etc, are in a little Singer themed holder, it resembles a cardboard 6-pack holder. The front has three slots, the back is just one. If they have a home, usually I can keep things pretty well organized.

Love the repurposed dish rack idea!

So many great ideas! The ones I use the most are in a cart that rolls with me (bought at Harbor Freight). The others I keep in lots of 10 x 13 inch envelopes, standing upright in a big rectangular basket at the end of the longarm. I have them sorted into categories, like circles, arcs, straight line rulers, wavy rulers, flowers, etc. The top of the envelope is marked with what it contains so I can find what I'm looking for easily. Some don't fit so they lay on a shelf elsewhere. 

Archived