Quilt Binding- How to finish it faster

Hi Debbie,

I switch up using my DSM (like Tracy) and my longarm and DSM (like Liz).

Occasionally, I hand stitch...but not often.

IMHO, binding is a necessary evil.

My advice....ALWAYS use a WALKING FOOT on the DSM portion.

Take the time to prep well and use clips or pins.

And, I hate to say it, but the more you do it, the better your results.

I think quilts that are used lots & laundered often are best served with machine bindings.

It's a good skill to master, and you can do it!

Good luck.

There are so many good suggestions here and I am definitely going to try some of them.  Have a daughter, with children and dog.  The quilts I make for them are well used and much washed.  Complete machine binding should be wonderful!!!

Debbie,  Will check with friend tomorrow about binding machine.  I have never seen it - so don't know how it does corners or how the quilt looks when finished.

Marilyn

Well, my fingers are sore after 3 days and 3 quilts bound by hand. I tried several of the suggestions posted here for doing it on the dsm, but there is not a sewing machine in my house younger than 50 years old, no walking foot to be had, and the glue was a big mess. I'm just clumsy! Waiting for Marilyn to post the info on the binding machine. Only good thing I managed to do was to keep Mom happy by sitting beside her bed to do the hand sewing.  :) Usually, I have to do my sewing in another part of the house where the machines are. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am still planning on practicing on the dsm, just have to find a walking foot for at least one of the dozen or so machines I have collected thru the years.

Marteli has a quick binding set up that I liked ok on very small projects, but gave up trying to use it on a large quilt and DSM.  I reverted back to my old methods.  There are three youtube videos showcasing it .  Just look for Martelli Quick Bind System.  There is coupon out for 50% off too.

Archived