What would you do? A sticky situation

Yes, $110 actually.  It was a bed size quilt, but cheaply made and not really quilted. You've seen them in stores.

The lady running it says it is because mine is a wall hanging and people around here don't really hang quilts on the walls.  She has obviously never been to MY house. I have one in every room. : )

Oy, sometimes this is why it's better to just sell the quilt yourself and then donate the $$ to the charity. It's sad to see that people don't understand the value of a quality made quilt. Maybe they should have said that it was a piece of fiber artwork to decorate someone's house?

Your work is beautiful and I look forward to your posts. Try not to let the people running these events get to you. Their job is to get donations any way they can.  You have to believe most people have good intentions.  Someone wanted to pay $20. Maybe they saw the jewel that it was and just don't have the money?  Once I donated three I Spy quilts to my niece's school for their fund raiser.  They were worth $50 each in materials alone.  I heard they went for $20 each.  I was upset until I found out the lady who bought them all was a grandmother raising her grandchildren. My sister reports that every time she sees the buyer, years later, she tells her how much she loves those quilts.  Don't let this one event keep you from all opportunities to share your gift.  Please keep donating and sharing your art.  You will get some kicks once in a while but long term you will get rewarded.   

Brenni,

Thank you for that slap in the face!  Your beautiful, positive outlook was what I needed to put things in perspective.

By the way, the bidding is now up, thanks to a couple of quilters who know what it takes to make a quilt like this.  Thank you both so much

There is a reason for everything.  Because of the attention this topic caused on here I went back and looked closer at her wall quilt.  I realized it was just what I wanted!  Elmer had planned on the 2 of us making and donating a wall quilt to The Indiana University Chemo Infusion Center when he got better. The nurses used to pretend to fight over who would take care of him even though everyone knew that he had formed an attachment to a young nurse that lost her father when she was a child. They would have long talks about her children and life.  She always managed to get Elmer.

After looking closely at the quilt I knew I wanted one.  We came up with an agreement a few days ago for her to make one to hang at IU with just a few small changes. There are several donated quilts in the halls of the IU hospital but none in the infusion center.  I feel blessed to have commissioned Teresa to make one for me to donate. 

This is such a great topic and Teresa as sorry as we are for the disouragement the auctions and fundraisers sometimes cause, I am so thankful for the Brennis, Sylvias, Serries, Daves, Sues and all the rest of the awe-inspiring quilters on this forum. I so agree with those who are telling you to keep your head up and be proud of your beautiful talent!

Make sure that sign says what Just Sew Simple said and be there explain the hours and process of the quilt if possible.  The people that are quality will see the work you have done.  Others that do not notice may after reading your information have a new appreciation of hand made work and up the bidding.  I agree Do Not Sell Your Self Short.  I just got another dose of that and am picking myself up off the ground.

I wouldn't want anyone to think I commissioned Teresa to make the wall hanging because of what happened.  I felt bad about how the auction was going but I wanted a quilt like she had made with all the colors representing cancer.  It will be perfect for me to donate.  My thinking was that since she had done one that I thought was beautiful...who better to ask to make me one? I ordered it because of her skill. I thought it was a simple business deal until I saw the prices the lady on Etsy had on hers.......now I KNOW Teresa is doing me a favor! LOL She has started on mine and sent me pics of the progress.  It will be awesome! I am sending her something special I bought in Paducah to incorporate into the borders. I bought it with the intentions of making the quilt Elmer and I had planned on but Teresa has saved me!

• 2 weeks later...

This story really raises my blood pressure! Personally, I would want to see a higher minimum bid on your beautiful handmade quilt than $100.

I've been involved in situations like yours and people want things to be a very low price because your "homemade" "blanket" ( too many people call our beautiful quilts blankets) was basically free and didn't take much time to make.. Of course they could go out and buy a really nice quilt from Walmart for much less than the thing you whipped up with just stuff you had laying around your house. Argh!!!!

The last time I donated a large throw quilt to the company I used to work for, for a charity golf outing's silent auction, I talked them into the starting bid at my cost. They thought that was far too high, but finally did it. Guess what? Nobody bid on it. At the end of the evening I planned to take it home with me, but was told a gal who was working on the Silent Auction committee took it and gave a $20 donation saying (and the group agreed) that $20 was better than nobody bidding, so everyone but me was happy with that outcome.

I never donated another quilt to them.

I would say, "Hmmmm, I see you already have a quilt for the auction.  I don't want to take away from that, so perhaps I should save mine for NEXT YEAR'S auction!"  People that don't sew just have NO clue how much we pay for fabric, let alone the hours of work that go into a quilt.

I had made quilts for our marching band auction 3 years in a row.  I was not happy that they went for $45.00 each year and I wondered why.  I was told that people would not out bid the person that had signed the card.  so needless to say I don'y make them quilts anymore. I do help with the uniforms.

Glad to see that your quilt earned a nice amount for the cause. :)

Don't chance getting your heart broken over a situation like this again. 

Better to put your time/fabric/expertise to work where you have a reassurance that your contribution will realize a realistic amount for the item involved. Perhaps donate a quilt to a charity with the expectation that they will raffle it and not auction it. The silent auction setting is perfect for that. You could man the table yourself and ask for a few others in the auction committee to help. In my state, a charity can take in a max of $5000 for a raffled item once a year. Wouldn't that have been a fabulous outcome for your quilt? No one minds spending a dollar or five on a chance to win something pretty. Just a thought.

And obviously you'll be super selective and ask lots of pointed questions before getting involved again.  :(

Hang tight Teresa//   just know we and you, know the value of your quilt.. it's Unique, One of a Kind,

Can't be duplicated, and special with all the hours of work and talent you put into it.

The $20 bid is ignorance shinning bright.

Rita

feel your pain.  Last year I quilted an embroidered quilt that cost over 250.00 for raw materials before even quilting it.  Think the winning bid was 200 only after the auctioneer said you have to be kidding when the top bid was 100.  Next time think I will just donate to the cause and not waste my time making a quilt.

Teresa,  Good for you for sticking with your minimum bid!  My friend was recently asked to make a quilt for a local chapter of a national organization.  She meticulously made a quilt with a pattern she designed and quilted it herself.  It ended up selling at their auction for only $88 and boy was she bitter!  In hindsight, she said she should have set a minimum bid on it.

Archived