How to keep quilt top sides even?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I try to keep the sides even but they don't stay that way.

The latest I've tried is putting tape around the leveling roller as a guide & that hasn't worked either.

Maybe I need to get a better measurement, like through the middle of the top first?

I'm at a loss. Thank you for your help.

Joan

Is this your quilt or a customer quilt?  I would check to be sure that the quilt was the same size all the way through...I use the tape method too and when I baste down the sides I use my channel locks to be sure that I stay straight....I also wanted to add that you can't stretch it too much to try to keep it straight as it will end up wonky when you take it off, sometimes you just have to go with how it is pieced and suggest that it be blocked later to help it to be more square....

Joan - I use tape on my leveler bar.  I'm not sure if you float your quilts, or if you have them attached to the quilt top roller.  If you do have them on the quilt bar (which I do), when you advance the quilt, loose the tension on the quilt top.  Let it get all loose and floppy a bit, and then use your hands to smooth the quilt out towards the sides, even with your tape.  On the inside of the quilt, take care to see that seam lines are straight, everything looks as square as possible, etc.  If there are areas that seem a bit troublesome (let's face it, not everyone is a perfect piecer), put a few pins in to hold things where you want them.  Only then should you tighten up the tension on the quilt top roller.  And, of course, don't make it too tight.

Thanks so much. I do float my tops but am going to stop doing that, at least for most of them and see if that helps.

This quilt top was square (not mine) but she also has a minkee backing & polyester batting. I hope it's relatively square when I finish.

My biggest fear still is screwing up a top. I only do e2e for now.

I would like to not stress so much about things but I don't know how to do that. I'll save that post for another time.

Joan

For a while my tops seemed to be shrinking as I progressed through the quilt.  I discovered that the quilt was bunching up just a little in the  middle as it was rolled up on the take-up roller on the back.  Now after every fabric advance I give the finished part of the quilt that just got rolled up on the take up bar a tug at each end and this has fixed that problem.

Carol

I have a clear plastic L square I made from 2- 18 inch long drafting rulers. Every time I advance the quilt, I lay the ruler so the horizontal arm is aligned to a horizontal seam and the vertical arm is aligned to the vertical edge on the side of my quilt or to a vertical seam in the quilt. I do this in several places across the quilt. This helps me ensure the horizontal seams are straight and the vertical seams are straight. Doing this allows any poofiness to show up in the blocks where I can pin it down before quilting. More than once I found the vertical side seam would have been pushed out unevenly on the edge if I had simply smoothed the top out to the sides and basted it that way before quilting.

I tried the tape and the quilt clips to keep the sides lined up before quilting which did not work for me.This is the only way that I have been able to keep the sides straight as I quilt.

Now, if only I could figure out a way to mark the length and width on the top so the binding ended up the same lengths and widths on the edges. I usually have one side longer than the other side or there is a difference in the top and bottom widths! 

I use those invaluable channel locks to keep seams straight, both horizontal and vertical. Place the edge of the hopping foot at the seam, engage the appropriate lock and push along the seam. Prod and nudge the seam so it's straight and pin it down. This will isolate any fullness within a block where it's easier to deal with and will keep things straight as you advance. I echo the advice to measure the width at several points and make a decision as to which "width" you want to use. The wider parts will need to be squoshed (technical term) so the width fits, and the narrow parts will stand only a small bit of stretch to fit.

Also, if it ain't square, it ain't square. Another of my mantras. It's not your job to square up an un-square top. You can do what you can, but there isn't a magic wand. Be very conscientious and measure carefully and completely before loading. Write all those dimensions on the intake form if there is a big discrepancy. Only share that information if your customer asks why her "quilt isn't square". ;)

Thank you so much!

I'm taking my time with this king size you've got mail.

I seriously don't know what I'd do without all of you. I'm learning so much still. I feel like a slow learner. Good thing I still have my day job.

We got the top roller back in place & reattached the leader. I've had another roller bar on order for what seems like forever but will have to wait for that to use as my leveler bar.

At any rate, I centered the quilt & will try the channel locks.

The last quilt did turn out to stay square after quilting.

Thanks again,

Joan

Well well well. I found out the quilt is off & I'm not surprised since she is a relative beginner.

I guess I'll have to baste horizontally since I don't want to hit pins I can't see from the back of the machine.

How do I gently educate people? Or do I not? I don't know if she squares her blocks or anything but I'm afraid to say too much.

Thanks,

Joan

Archived