Custom Pricing question

Tella

Someone sent me a small quilt about 20 sq ft...originally we discussed pantos...I gave her a panto price...she now wants a straight line pattern in the shape of a large V...about 1/4 inch apart...so pretty dense....where in the custom scale does this type of quilting fit...any ideas of what to charge?

Also, this quilt is very "bowed" ...there is 1 1/2 inch variance in width....top and bottom are at 53.5 inches and middle is 51...horizontal and vertical..there is a 1 inch variance in middle too...I can't get it to sit straight on my table...is this going to give me grief and I am thinking the straight line quilting is only going to make this worse...do I tell her and send it back for border repairs...there are 2 borders...that obviously were too long when she added them...

I think I would let her know the problem and how it could be fixed.......then let her choose.  If she doesn't choose to fix the borders she will at least understand that it was the piecing and NOT your quilting that caused it to be out of square.

I would take into consideration the V shape.   Will you have to continuously advance the quilt to accommodate that diagonal line?   I say this because I worked on a quilt that was pieced in a large V chevron style, and had to constantly advance, back up, advance, etc to make my lines.   Straight line quilting is great, but if you have to do it on an angle, not so good!

Phone her and tell her about the variance in the measurements and give her some options - put the decision on her -if she wants to fix it herself or if she wants it quilted as is. 

I would tell her that you can't do 1/4" lines unless the quilt is square. You will never get it to lay right with that particular design if there is that much of a variation at each end. I would probably charge $0.03/sq in for that project. Good luck!

Archived