Quilt values are rising

My guild sold a wall hanging to a local bank for $1200 and we were happy to get it! 

I commend this quilter for elevating the standards! We all know that she doesn't really want to sell that pricey one. A rule of thumb for our quilt shows and whether you want to sell your work--price it high enough that you won't cry if it goes home with a new owner. Some members put sky-high prices just so they can keep the quilt. One year a member put $1100 on a pretty 30's repro quilt and was heartbroken when someone bought it. She thought it was priced high enough that it wouldn't sell!

Corporations and governments have a budget for art and maybe she thinks she'll get a bite. More power to her!

Whoa!  I am thinking she doesn't want to sell them ...or....if she only sold one, she would be doing great.  I did notice, she hasn't had any sales to date, but has 34 admirers.  I am sure they just want to see if someone will buy one of those. 

Remember the crazy quilt that was in some of the magazines last year I believe an Australian woman made and put a price tag on that she thought was really high like this AND she sold it? It was gorgeous; heavily adorned with hand embroidery. It was equisite; a work of art. She deserved what she got for it.

I'm still in shock thinking of the price, only because I couldn't pay that much, but her piecing is very accurate, a difficult task with such small pieces, and her colors were well coordinated. It's a beautiful quilt that obviously took many hours to make. I need to thank her for raising the bar and I hope she gets her asking price!

Well, even if she only sells one of them at the higher price she will have made more than the average quilter does over quite a lifetime.  It is a nice quilt and she obviously doesn't plan on it selling (the one at $250,000).  And if it does, she won't miss it all that much.  lol.  I have learned over the years that there are a lot of people out there with a lot of money and they don't mind spending it for something they like.  We need to value our talents a little higher.  She says some of the pieces of fabric are only 1/2 inch, but doesn't say if they are hand sewn. She does state it is machine quilted.  I applaud her.

I recently saw a beautiful example of a crazy quilt - bright colors, nice larger size, all kinds of handwork, dated in the 19th century on Antiques Roadshow and they valued it at $3 - 5K - I thought that price wasn't high enough!  But $250K . . . hmmm

This quilt is listed on my computer in NZ dollars at $292,808.62.  What was it in US $'s?

Certainly an enormous amount of work involved so maybe she is calculating her price to also include the actual time it took, but it does seems an extraordinary price tho. Good for her if it sells.  

Maybe we need to buck up our ideas for selling our own quilts!     :D

Yvonne

Also, I was thinking about the batting being 50/50. Not even 100% cotton. I'm not a purist that way but some are! 

I was also thinking the decimals were in the wrong spot! She has some others for; like $1500.00. 

If I sold one for $250K; I'd run off to..................well, somewhere! hahaha

Archived