Buying Patterns for Quilt Path

gailp

I absolutely love Kim Diamond patterns, they are some of my favorites.  Has anyone used any of her patterns with Quilt Path?  I am brand new at this, don't even have my Millie or Quilt Path yet so I may be reading her website wrong.  This is from her website:  Our patterns are NOT available for use with any quilting system which does not support encrypted files. If you do not actually have a Statler, IQ, Innova Autopilot, or CQ system, do not place an order; if you do, your order will be refunded less the gateway procesing fees. 

If I am reading this right, maybe some of us need to contact her?

Thanks for any help!

Gail

Hi, I have a bit of experience with these people; they do not want to release patterns to anyone outside of those systems, their reasoning is that we will share them with others. I had a customer who bugged them until they released a copy of what he wanted that we could not get elsewhere. I will never do business with them again; I feel that the reason they give is a lot of BS; If I have to pay for the pattern, why would I share it with others? And really who would I share it with? My competition? There are so many great sites out here; and part of me really thinks that the reasoning behind Kim Diamond's groups refusal to sell to others is some kind of elitist thing, as I have never encountered this on any other site!!!!! Have fun shopping elsewhere!

Something else to think about here is that the patterns are designed for those computer systems and anyone buying them who does not have one of the systems listed will be unable to open the files, so the file would be useless to them. Designers have to convert their files from the format they designed with, to the format used by a particular system. Perhaps they are unable to format the files for other systems because they don't have the software that would do that. 

I did get a response from Kim Diamond that they had contacted Quilt Motion to see if they would add encryption to their software  in the next update.  They have yet to receive a response.  I was thinking that the more people that contact Quilt Motion the better to let them know that this is an issue.  Since yesterday I have found that the encryption issue is not only with Kim Diamond, there are several other designers doing the same thing.  I agree that I would not just give someone something I paid for, but I am more concerned that more designers will start to do this in the future and it would be better if we can get this in our software so that it does not become an issue for those of us with Quilt Path.  Perhaps APQS could also try to get Quilt Motion to do this since it could impact their sales of Quilt Path in the future.

Gail 

Archived