What do you think?

Bonnie in Ok

Here is a quilt I just finished quilting and my husband and I  were talking about the wavy lines in the strips between the blocks. He thought they should have been more exact, of course after the fact. I wonder what others think about them? Do you think it would have been more pleasing to have them exactly the same?  It was freehand except the circles and stars they were Quiltizoid.

post-3641-0-73202000-1399404854_thumb.jpg

I think it depends on your purpose for the quilt and your audience.

Is it for you and hubby to snuggle under on a cold night?  If so, it is perfect the way it is.

Is it for your guild's big show?  Then your waves should have been more precise.

Did it make you happy to quilt it and finish it?  If so, it is wonderful.

It's all a matter of perspective.   Personally I love it.  Looks snuggly and cozy.

I prefer a more exact look, and would have used templates.  If it is your quilt and you are happy with it, then fine.  If I were a customer, I would not be happy, because the quilt just does not say whimsy or organic to me.  It is very structured and even and the lack of structure in the very large sashing just doesn't fit the style..IMO. 

I should say here that I have a very close relationship with my seam ripper, and if I get that feeling that something isn't quite right, in the end, doing it over will save me more time than I would spend worrying over it for the next ten years.

I'm married to an Artist and she would likely have done it the way you did. I am a retired Physician and would have done it (If I were able to :) ) more like your husband suggests. The beauty is that no one is right and no one is wrong!

Thanks for all the input and I can see both sides of the recommended choices and will have to think more about this for the next similar project. It was a give away and has already been sent.  Sometimes I just have a hard time figuring out a better design until it is over and done with. Oh well another hurdle to over come. Thanks to all and any after this that happen to want to add in. :rolleyes:

I personally like it the way you've done it. Yea, I can see the argument for a more symmetrical design, but I like the loop-de-loop fill you did in the background. It's a nice loose design and has a cowboy / "ropey" feel to it. A really even, structured design would be boring. Just my opinion.  :D

Archived