We are baffled.   While securing a top to the batting and backing using a stitch regulated and channel locked straight line, the thread shreds and comes out of the needle.   After we made some adjustments,  we tested the machine, making circles, curves, and points, etc.  All was good.   We put the quilt back on, resumed basting the quilt to the batting with a straight line, the thread continued to shred!    What could possibly be the issue that caused this problem to occur???   And the thread keeps coming out of the needle eye, again when only doing straight lines.   We are at a loss as to what to adjust next.

Barb, the problem first occurred when I was working with the original quilt.  When I could not figure out how to fix it, I took the quilt off, put on a practice piece and tried again.   Straight lines caused the thread to keep breaking but normal curvy quilting was fine.   So I decided to just try again with the original quilt.   Same thing.  Straight lines were disastrous, curves and points etc were fine.   I just don't get it!

Check your needle plate hole for burrs or scratches.  When moving in that direction would be the only time the threads would come in contact with that area on the needle plate and cause the shredding and thread breakage.  Good luck!  :)

If it is only happening in that one direction then I would still look at the needle plate hole or on the hook assembly.  The thread is passing an area only in that direction causing the fraying and breaking.  Did you try other threads to see what happens??

• 4 weeks later...

Mark, I was able to quilt an entire very large quilt with no problems last week. I used a variety of threads and all went well. Today, I back to using Bottom Line on top and nothing is successful, straight lines and curves! I've buffed the needle plate thoroughly so I'm pretty sure that's no longer the issue. The hook assembly seems perfectly smooth too.

I tried a heavier weight thread right now and the shredding is reduced but the stitch quality is not great in places - the top thread is loose every so often.

Any other ideas to fix this are appreciated!