Rainbow Log Cabin - help please! - updated finished photos

post-11183-0-95788200-1399600344_thumb.jpgpost-11183-0-08783800-1399588197_thumb.pngI need to quilt this log cabin  (the image is NOT the top I have - but it is the same pattern, same colours, etc - I just pulled it off the net)     Anyways,   the client wants to have it quilted the way it shows on the pattern, which is swirl and plumes going along the direction of each colour -  on the diagonal, with a separate plume/feather border.

1.   Is there any way to load the quilt easily on a diagonal so that I can easily quilt it that way?   Or is it best to advance, advance advance as I go along quilting each colour?

2.  I have a  feeling that she really doesn't know how much this will cost (long story) but I want to be fair to her and myself.    If I do need to quilt by advancing each little bit to quilt on the diagonal, how much would you increase the charge for something like this?   I got snowed doing a modern chevron with large diagonal straight lines, so I want to be fair to myself on this one.    

3.  Any ideas of alternate quilting designs I can do to offer that would not be as costly for her if it is out of her budge?   All over swirl design...swirl feather feather type pattern?  

Her piecing is immaculate.  It is her first quilt made ever, which just stuns me.  It is so square and precise!!   **edited - after working with this quilt, I can say it was NOT immaculate and not very precise.   LOL

Thank you for your help.   

edited to add photo of the quilt pattern with the swirl and plume (can best be seen on the yellow fabric)

Large quilts done on a diagonal are tough.  You would probably have to mark the long diagonal lines on the top before you load it. Then you  would have those as a guide line after you roll sections.  I have never tried to load one diagonally, but I think it would be very difficult.

Diagonal loading has been discussed several times and the consensus seemed to be that you'll need to change the diagonal to horizontal/vertical by adding triangles of waste fabric like muslin to outside edges. That turns a square into an even larger square and seems like any headaches and time you might save would be discounted by the time used cutting and sewing and cost of the extra fabric. Plus that extra-large square might be too big to load after you've added the extra. The distance from corner to opposite corner will be the new dimensions if you opt for the added triangles.

If you can get one section of plume/feathers within the quilting field, just quilt each section separately and join them as you advance. Pre-mark the spines off-frame and just concentrate on one area at a time. You may have several diagonal section going at once. Stich each section and as you get to the last you can needle down, advance carefully, and be set up to continue the last section without a tie-off.

I don't see a link to a photo. Can you try again?

Thank you Theresa and Linda.  I did do a search on 'on point' and diagonal quilting and found a few.   I kind of know that all that work to get the quilt loaded diagonally would be a PITA, but was hoping there was some kind of easy solution.

I added a photo to my post.

Linda,  so are you saying when I quilt in my quilting field - one area at a time, do you mean one diagonal area, or one area across my quilting field?     I think where I'm getting confused is that the plume is one design, and the swirl is another design, so  it would be tie off, start up, twice for each colour,  going across the quilting field.   right?

I guess I need to charge more for this one.  sigh. 

Hi again. From what I can see in the photo, the spine is offset a bit and there are feathers on one side and spirals/swirls on the other? You can get around the thread changes by using invisible thread like Essence. If that's not possible, a thin blendable might work---warm like dark gold for the warm colors and cool like taupe or seafoam green for the cool colors.

Mark the spine, quilt the feathers down while hitting the spine as closely as you can, then use a ruler to stitch back up the spine to start the swirls. Then swirl all the way back down. That way only one start/stop per section. If you stop at the bottom, you can advance the quilt to the next section and you're set up for the next feathers/spine/swirls section.

Another solution to that is to stitch the spine first from the lower point up, the come back down stitching two feathers on one side and one swirl on the other. You could get a nice rhythm going and it would be fast!

I would quilt in the field from the top of the quilt down, with all the starts and stops that entails. If your customer insists upon matching threads, I usually charge $10 extra per thread changes over two. 

With two different designs in the pathways and another treatment in the border, I'd charge a medium custom for this at about 3.5 cents an inch, with the extra charge if there are more than two thread color changes.

Is there a variegated thread that she might like for the whole thing? The multi-colored border will need something like that if she wants running feathers on it. I might try a bright Metro color like yellow or red on the whole thing, but she might not go for that!! :P

I don't think I would ever recommend loading this size on the diagonal. I think you will be surprized how quickly it will go even when you are advancing and reversing, etc. There are lots of seams to hide starts and stops, etc.

However, knowing the quilting prices in the area, I would charge 4.5 - 5 cents a square inch. I did a Lighting Strikes Bargello a couple of months ago and charged more than that.

You can always time yourself and at the end of the project adjust your price. I am seriously considering charging by the hour for custom work.

Good luck, I know you will make it beautiful!

Joanne Flamand

APQS Sales and Education, Canada

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

• 3 weeks later...

I can't thank you all enough for the hints and tips on this one... I'm working on it right now and you really helped me prep for this one.   I'm doing the spine, then work up with the plume -  I work across the quilt doing this, each colour section is a new start stop.    I've gone all the way to the bottom of the quilt now, and things are stabilized.  Now I will work on the spirals and the bumps over the spirals.    

I've been using a rotary cutting ruler (gasp!!)  to help guide my diagonal lines  (marked them first off the frame)  

This quilt is wonky -  2" difference in length.  sigh.   Thank goodness I measured it before hand to make sure, otherwise I would be cursing at myself that it was my fault it was uneven at the bottom.

You all were a big help in my progress of this beast.    I still had troubles with backing/batting shifting like crazy, enough that I had to pick out my top basting to smooth it out and one small section of spirals at the top that needed to be picked out,  starch and steam area, and then restitched.   One day I will figure this out and be a pro.

I said up top that her piecing is precise and accurate.  It was not...

Anyways, I thought I would show the final outcome.   Thank you again to my awesome apqs support family :-)

Still need to defuzz...I'm sure the photos show it all LOL

post-11183-0-04780200-1401747567_thumb.jpg

post-11183-0-56640300-1401747572_thumb.jpg

post-11183-0-41209400-1401747578_thumb.jpg

post-11183-0-60431400-1401747583_thumb.jpg

Archived