Lily Board

quiltinchicks

hey everyone-

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions and getting nice fluid smooth lines on this board,(any board actually)  especially at the intersections?  My lines are always wobbly and it drives me crazy. I am getting to the point of selling all my boards!!!

thanks for any suggestions!!

I find to try to just follow the lines and don't try to "ride" the stylist in the grooves. ( I do have the stylist in the grooves) Does  that make sense? I haven't tried the lily yet but do have it. It does take some practice. Keep trying you will "get it". :)

BTw I just just thinking before checking the forum about using it on a quilt I have to do.  LOL

Amy,

I don't have the Lily board but if I understand your question correctly I have had the same type of issues with some of my other boards. I have had a problem with the centre intersection where two boards attach to one another.  I discovered that my table wasn't quite level and that made it difficult to move from board to board smoothly.  I try to keep my stylus against the same edge of the groove all the way through the template path to keep the stitching lines smooth.  Hope that makes sense and hang in there!

I really believe that keeping your stylus to the same side of the groove all of the time (as Sue does) is the answer to this problem.  I have success using the boards in this manner.      Can't remember who suggested this  (perhaps Michael), but it work well.

Marilyn

I agree with Marilyn and Sue.  I have to slow down and make sure I am riding a side and I slow way down at intersections or turns.  I used to get a little weird point at every turn on the square 'swirls' board but slowing down and feeling the side helped greatly.  I thought about what Linda suggests many times and I will try that on the next quilt to see if that helps even more.  Mary 

Thanks girls.  I do stay to one side of the groove.  What do you do where the how ever many lines connect, there is so much play in those areas that for me its about impossible to have anything smooth. My stylus fits pretty snug in the grooves but I will try some tape. I seem to have a lot of wobble in my stylus. My husband is gonna see if he can engineer something to make it more stable to see if that helps any. (I have an innova)

thanks =)

Hi,

When you have intersections, you don't slow down, just go thru them as if there are

no side grooves.  Of course you have to be watching. Your hand-eye co-ordination

takes over at speed to get you past the intersection. Sometimes you will change from one

side to the other as you go thru it. The LILY is just a collection of clam shells. Just get

into the rhythm of the curve and you will pass thru the intersections cleanly. Slow down and stop just at the tip, reverse, and keep to the outside of the groove so you don't hit the center point.

Now, the Trillium has a lot of intersection grooves, but there is no problem with that one. Again, keep the momentum. If you have momentum, it  takes more force to change direction. If you slow down, finger twitches will change the direction and cause wobbles. Is it easier to draw a smooth circle with one fast pass, to slowly crawl around it? You might end up with an oval, but the line will be smooth.

If anyone wants more personalized help. Just call me.

Thanks,'

Michael

866 510 6060

Hi,

When you have intersections, you don't slow down, just go thru them as if there are

no side grooves.  Of course you have to be watching. Your hand-eye co-ordination

takes over at speed to get you past the intersection. Sometimes you will change from one

side to the other as you go thru it. The LILY is just a collection of clam shells. Just get

into the rhythm of the curve and you will pass thru the intersections cleanly. Slow down and stop just at the tip, reverse, and keep to the outside of the groove so you don't hit the center point.

Now, the Trillium has a lot of intersection grooves, but there is no problem with that one. Again, keep the momentum. If you have momentum, it  takes more force to change direction. If you slow down, finger twitches will change the direction and cause wobbles. Is it easier to draw a smooth circle with one fast pass, to slowly crawl around it? You might end up with an oval, but the line will be smooth.

If anyone wants more personalized help. Just call me.

Thanks,'

Michael

866 510 6060

I use Michael's technique on all my boards that have intersections and it works great for me!  I use the "s" method for boards like "Bubbles".  Look at Michael's site for a diagram and description.  This helps me to keep my intersections smooth.  I Love my Circle Lord boards!

Archived