Prairie points

Next up for me to load is a cute little Mamie quilt with prairie points in the last of three borders. The points face to the center and are small, about 1 x 2 inches or so. I'm worried that the quilting will keep the points from laying flat. It's a custom job. Should I quilt on each point or no? I will try to upload a pic in a few minutes if that will help.

post-5206-0-48218800-1400120178_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you should check with your client and see what she would prefer. If you stitch in the ditch on top of the prairie points, that should keep them from sticking up. You might have to pin them out of the way to quilt the borders underneath them.

Quilting on top of the points can be pretty but might not be preferred by the client. You don't want any unpleasant surprises when you finish it.

I see that you've decided to leave the points unstitched and I agree. Those 3-D elements are meant to stay 3-D, or else why bother?

To make them lay down, SID the seam, especially if you're stitching close enough with your quilting to catch the seam allowance of the prairie points. Sometimes that treatment will cause them to stand up.

Archived