QD Batting

I am looking to make a purchase from QD and take advantage of their free shipping offer. I have been purchasing the pre cut batting and would like to start purchasing bolts instead. I thought I would start out with 2 types. Here lies my problem. I can't decide which 2 to get and in what size bolt. Presently, I have some select cotton, select poly, dream puff, blend and wool. A little of a lot. Really trying to simplify.

Would you please chime in and share what is your go to, or favorite and why and what size bolt you purchase?

I really appreciate your input. Thanks, K

Hi K,  I buy both QD poly deluxe and QD 80/20.  I like both but the deluxe really puts the weight into the quilt. I'm starting to use more of the 80/20 because its lighter weight. The poly deluxe lays so nice after quilted but so does the 80/20 and my customers love both so it just depends it they want the added weight. I think the 80/20 might be a good choice for you.

The Dream Puff is really nice and popular also.  It is puffy, which makes it really cute and soft for kids, it is warm but lightweight, and launders well.

Size would depend on what your customers like, but the Queen (93" wide) size fits nearly all the quilts I get. 

I like to have the dream puff on hand because the quality is amazing and it's different than what I can get in my area locally. Plus it's warm and has wonderful definition when quilted. And I have a few gals that always ask for something warm, not heavy, and not wool or cotton. It fits the bill for me!

I have a quilt with wool batting on our bed and have had all winter.  It is the only quilt we are using and I've been very comfortable even when the stove stops during the night and still good during the spring temps.  I haven't used it yet in the summer heat, but it is not heavy.  I will take it over cotton any day.

Question: Does the wool add weight and is it really warm? I've not used it yet but keep hearing good things about it.

Ann wool isn't heavy at all.  It is very drapy and cozy.  It is odd how wool works, keeps you warm in the winter but not hot.  We use this in NC as well as NY and it is just perfect for both.  I'm told it allows the air through and "breaths" and that is why it is such a good choice.  

Ann, I made the Labyrinth quilt in king size for our queen sized bed.  It covers well and I don't get any drafts when we both are in bed like the smaller quilts would do.  It is not heavy on us at all, or even at the foot of the bed when you lay on your back and don't want your toes bent!

Great to hear about not being affected by the wool... that's the reason why I've not used it before.

I think I will buy a couple of precuts and try it out on me.

Thanks for the info.. it helps make decisions easier.

Rita

I used to make soaps and lotions and once bought some lanolin to use in lotions and creams as it is supposed to be really good for dry skin. Lanolin is a byproduct of the sheep's wool and produced by the oil gland in the sheep. When using the lanolin as a cream, I found out that I was allergic to it. It made me turn red, itch, and swell. So no lanolin products for me!

When I found quilting and started quilting with wool for wall quilts, I found I was allergic to wool batting, too. My hands get red, dry, and itchy from just handling the wool for a few minutes. But I love the definition it gives so I do use it but mostly just in wall hangings where I don't have to handle it a lot. If I touch when advancing, I go and wash my hands a few times and then come back to quilting. I quilted a few wool battings into one of my customer's HUGE quilts and my hands were red and dry for a few days.

This is why I love Quilter's Dream Puff. It quilts up like wool without the effects of wool on my skin :)

So glad you started this thread just for the feed back on QD wool alone...I have been buying Poly Select by the roll but I find it is a real pain to get good tension with because it is soo stinkin' thin.  I use it pretty much only in two layers now and at my customer's request I mainly use Hobbs 80/20.  My business is small so I don't carry a ton of batting, just a roll or two for convenience.  If I order poly again I will probably go with the thickest Deluxe loft.

Archived