Paint Chip Challenge

About six months ago, our guild had us draw packets for our paint chip challenge.  I drew yellow, orchid and a dark jade green (one of the pix has the samples on it).  The theme was In the Garden.  I used templates from Judi Madsen's book to do the dragonfly, butterfly and flowers.  I used a double batt, QD Wool and Hobbs, 80/20.  I used So Fine to do the detail work in the yellow. I am happy to say this isn't due until June 12th (which means I will be binding it late on the 11th).

14214008152_d6d82a920e_s.jpgPaint Chip Challenge by Charlotte Peterson Enchanted Quilting, on Flickr

14193256166_3e176af954_s.jpgCompleted runner for paint chip challenge by Charlotte Peterson Enchanted Quilting, on Flickr

There are individuals ones of the yellow squares on my Flickr if you are interested.  Thanks for looking.

Charlotte, what a beautiful job you did for your challenge!

I was just looking at Judi's book today ( while straightening my quilting room and converting my sewing room into a guest bedroom!) and wishing I was done with the quilt on my machine so I could play a little with her designs.

Your rendition of her designs is really beautiful! And I love the sashing design. Thanks so much for sharing.

Charlotte, what a beautiful job you did for your challenge!

I was just looking at Judi's book today ( while straightening my quilting room and converting my sewing room into a guest bedroom!) and wishing I was done with the quilt on my machine so I could play a little with her designs.

Your rendition of her designs is really beautiful! And I love the sashing design. Thanks so much for sharing.

In Judi Madsen's book, Quilting Wide Open Spaces, she has a quilt with the dragonfly, butterfly and flowers on it.  The book includes a CD with full sized templates on it.  I marked the squares using a light box using a blue marker.  That was for the figures...the background I freehanded.  After I was done I submerged the runner to remove the blue marks.  The whole book has some excellent ideas...they are detailed and intense, but very striking.

Mmmmmm, I'm loving the colors. And the quilting is amazing! Please let us know how you do in the placement arena!

Our guild did a challenge and it was so restrictive. Whatever your three paint chip colors were had to be EXACTLY and I do mean EXACTLY the same color in fabric. Plus you could pick one other color. For me, it would have been more fun to be able to include the colors like you did. I ended up not participating, mostly because I couldn't find fabric that matched exactly.

Archived