Inserting needle/George

Gilda

I just got done with a George session.  The needle is put in with the eye facing the outside as you sit in front of George.  Basically the eye could be stated as being at 9:00 o'clock.  The scharf (the cut out on the shank) is at 3:00 o'clock.  It sometimes helps to put a straight pin end into the eye held in the left hand to keep the needle pushed up into the needle bar as far as it can go while you tighten the set screw with a regular length screwdriver.  You can use a shorter screwdriver, but one that is a bit longer will give you a better tightening on the screw.  Be sure to get it set in and tight because the vibration could cause it to drop down and mess up the timing or create a rough spot that will give you more problems later.

Congratulations on your George.  They are a great machine and you should be able to do wonderful things with him.  I have not had any problems with mine so far.

Hi Gilda:

Congratulations on your new George.  Yes, industrial needles require a little more finesse to install because there is not flat side like on the needles for domestic machines.  Madelyn has given you great advice.  Just one more thing…is the needle screw on your George facing you as you sit at the machine?  If it is, great.  If it is on the rear of the needle bar, you can switch it to the hole that is facing you.  It just makes that screw so much easier to work.  We all welcome you & hope you have a great time with your George.  Nancy in Tucson

Archived