Centering tape attached to leaders

Have any of you added centering measuring tapes to your leaders? I have the thought I might like to do that so I can mount my quilts not necessarily in the center of the frame but off to one side or the other and this would help with that. Have any of you done this? If so, how did you attach the tape to the leader. If you don't do this, how would you mount a quilt off center of the frame. The reason I ask is that I have add on equipment that takes up room at one side or the other of the quilt and I only have a 10 foot frame hench the need to mount off center. Hopefully someone out there has some suggestions for me other than getting a longer frame.

At one point I added centering tape but took it off because I could never get it perfectly centered.

What I ended up doing was making marks at every 10 inch increment towards the center of the leaders. I measured from the outside of my frame to the middle of my leader and made a center mark with a blue water soluble marker. I did this for each leader. Then I measured from that mark out on each side in 10 inch increments. Every other mark I made slightly longer so I could tell which line it matched on the other leader. When it comes time to loading a quilt, I simply pick which line I want to be my "center" and load the quilt. I hope my explanation makes sense!

I just use a regular (although smaller than most) carpenter's measuring tape.  I've marked the center of the machine on my leveler bar and pin the middle there, then smooth to the edge and lay the carpenter's measuring tape on top to be sure I have things as I want them.  Then hit the retract button, and everything's out of my way!

Don't know as I can explain.  When I want a quilt attached off center, I measure in from the end of the leaders half the width of the quilt backing, make note of where it hits both of the leaders, and load up.

I too have a 10 foot table with a device off to the side.  Measure in on the device side, to determine where the center is from the needle to the opposite end of the leaders, and mark the center with a piece of blue tape..

For me it works..    I keep the device on the same side of the machine.  It seems to make life a lot easier.

Rita.

Archived