? Flywheel Movement is not smooth/bumpy?

Update: I just spoke with Brenda at the factory.  Sounds like one or more bearings may be worn out and need replaced which are part of the flywheel and main shaft assembly.  Luckily I finished the quilts for graduation gifts before this started acting up.  So, Mabel will be tucked away until she goes to the factory for repairs in late July.  She's due some lovin' so it's all good.   While being pampered at the factory I'll just force myself to go visit the grandkids down that way.   :wub:  :wub:  

Very recently I noticed that when I go to move my flywheel that it doesn't move smoothly.  It has a light jerk 26 times throughout a full rotation of the flywheel.  I've taken the side cover off and can't see anything amiss, other than on my old Ulti I there is one oiling wick low-center point that doesn't reach anywhere (it's above the rocker arm assembly but doesn't reach that area.)  Should it be oiling the rocker arm or?  And would that cause my flywheel to be jerky moving?  The oiling wicks at the top are oiling the area they're intended to, so I don't think it's an issue of lack of normal lubrication.

One issue I'm having with this not moving smoothly is I can't use my basting stitch feature with my I/S because it will cause a jam if the stitch fires right when the tight/jerky spot is.  Make sense?  Anyone have any ideas what may be going on and if there is an area in the head I can grease that isn't visible?  Or could something be warped?  Or anyone know of a specific part that wears out that would need replacing? Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.  I put a message in to APQS but have not heard back.  So wondering if anyone here has had this issue and what was done?

Marci,

The oiling wick in your left cover plate should rest horizontally across the top of the rocker assembly block (you'll see a small hole in the top of it--that's where the wick deposits the oil.).

The feeling you're getting in the fly wheel can be caused by a couple of different things, including something commonly referred to as a "coggy motor" or a hook shaft collar that's too tight. Eventual wear in the bearings on the machine or the gearbox bushing can also affect the fly wheel's rotation.

We want the hook shaft collar to be tight, but it's possible to get it too tight--which then binds up the drive shaft. This video shows you where to find the hook shaft collar and its locking screw. The easiest way to check if it's too tight is to simply put the appropriate size allen screw into the locking screw, and then loosen the screw and just immediately tighten it back up again. If the collar is shoved up against the back of the gearbox so tight that it's rubbing on that, then loosening the screw takes the pressure off. (Kind of like just cracking open a bottle of pop without completely removing the lid). Tightening it back up again keeps the setting correct.

Sometimes cleaning out the motor brushes (or the motor itself) with some good blasts of compressed air can help with a coggy motor. But other times it's simply the nature of the motor--the winding inside affects that and there isn't any "fix" without just changing the motor.

I'll also have Amy take a look at your description to see if she has any other advice. We appreciate your patience--after a 3-day weekend things can get a little bogged down in the service department, but we'll make sure we help everyone before day's end!

Thanks, Dawn!  I just got home, and after speaking with you also today I checked those other couple things out (the gold bushings in front of flywheel and the hook shaft collar tightness. They are fine,and on my machine there is only one gold washer but it moves freely.  I did take the cover off the motor and removed the small black belt and the problem IS the motor. It is very coggy.  It wasn't like this until recently so not sure what has happened.  I will contact Zoltan and we'll figure this out.  I'll still be keeping my date in July to bring her down to the factory regardless.  It is time.  Again, thanks for your help!  :)

Archived