New old machine for me - a Treadle!

I've been searching Craigslist for a couple of years for a nice treadle machine.  I've been picky - has to work, has to have a nice cabinet, has to have mostly all decals intact, etc.  The day before yesterday I hit the jackpot!  I pick it up on Saturday.  I am so excited.  The machine belonged to the seller's grandmother.  It is a Singer 27, made in 1903.  It is one of the first machines to make use of the 'vibrating shuttle' technology, and uses long bobbins (which I was able to find on ebay).  I needs a new belt, but otherwise is good to go.  I am over the moon!

post-52089-0-11898200-1401404025_thumb.jpg

post-52089-0-69279300-1401404045_thumb.jpg

post-52089-0-00656700-1401404060_thumb.jpg

post-52089-0-90673000-1401404074_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on your new treadle.  Treadle machines are wonderful.  I have sewn and quilted a quilt on treadle machines and it was a blast.  It's much more quiet then regular sewing and gives those legs some exercise.  Enjoy your new machine - they are easy to work on and sew over anything.

I do 90% of my sewing on a davis vertical feed treadle. It is so easy to treadle and I feel ever so calm....I can just forget all my troubles and simply sew. Yours is certainly a lovely grand old lady. You are going to love sewing with her.

What a pretty machine!!  I know you will have alot of fun with this one!  I recently saw someone selling a bunch (about 20) old hand crank machines and was ohhh so tempted, but then I got to thinking, it is a fun idea, but how in the world do you handle the fabric and at the same time turn the crank with your other hand?  Decided to pass in the end.....

I have an FYI for you.  There is a guy in Vancouver, WA who repairs treadle machines, and sharpens scissors.  I've only had him sharpen my scissors, but when my treadle comes around, it will go to him.  He prefers to do home visits on treadles to that things don't get lots in the move.  Just in case she ever needs some work.

These sewing machines are a real treasure Linda and can well understand how delighted you arewith you purchase.

I am the fortunate owner of a Singer treadle sewing machine that my Grand father gave to my Grandmother as a wedding present in December 1906. I have the original manual, feet, oilcan and other bits and pieces.  

My uncle remembers as a child he would sit on the floor and work the treadle for his mother as an occupation to keep a small boy busy!  

Yvonne

Linda, you found a jewel, from the great condition of the decals on the bed of the machine, it's not seen much use.. I've a treadle, but it's only from 1938, and it has the receipt and original manual and attachments. Not the jewel you folks have, but I love it.

and have used it, problem is it only has one of the long bobbins, so I have to refill it more often than on modern machines.

I'm trying to sell it due to lack of room to keep it.

Congratulations on the purchase.

Rita

OMG, that is absolutely beautiful!  I wish I had room in my little home for things like that.  What a find and a treasure that is!  I got a little treasure 2 days ago; my daughter in law went to a yard sale and someone sold her her entire stamping collection of rubber and acrylic stamps for 10 bucks.  Since I like to make cards, she snatched it up for me.  Three bags of stamps!  Woohoo!

Archived