What is this pattern?

I was sent this picture by one of my daughter's friend's mom. She asked if I could quilt it and asked how much I would charge her. Let first say I only quilt for myself. I'm not even sure I'm good enough to quilt anyone else's quilts. I generally do e2e not custom.I made her daughter a quilt for graduation because the daughter is close to our family and I'm very proud of her. That's how I got into this position. I've never seen this pattern before. It looks like it is hand stitched? The pie pieces stitched onto the white? If you know the pattern please inform me. Also how would you quilt this? Again I'm rather new to longarm quilting. Feathers are not something I can manage yet. Oh how I wish I could.

My first thought was to tie it lol. But she wants it quilted soooooooo any thoughts please. The white and yellow is the one in question. The other 2 are the daughters graduation quilt.

post-13063-0-91279200-1401668854_thumb.jpgpost-13063-0-41891900-1401668931_thumb.jpgpost-13063-0-04468600-1401668977_thumb.jpg

It looks like the first one is just the quarter sections of a Dresden plate or a variation of Drunkard's Path and flipped different directions.  For quilting it you could SID in the color rings, and use about 5 loops in a fan shape starting at the point for the center pie shape.  The outside large section I would find a stencil that fits and use that. 

I like the quilting you did on the daughter's quilt.

Well, I am looking at this and breaking it down section by section (I am pretty new at this, too).  I like the idea of SID in the colored rings or stitching in the center of each string in that area rather than actually SID.  You could do the loopy thing suggested  in the pie shaped area and you could just do a small meander if you can't find a stencil for the outer area of the "fan".  Like I said, break it down into sections and knowing what you are capable of, do that. 

Very good suggestions. Thank you all. I have not seen the top in person yet. She had no idea if it's even square and thought it was the size of a full but not actual size.

What would you suggest I charge? Frankly I'm a bit scared to get paid. If I give a quilt to family they very well can not complain about lol.

As for my youngest. He loves helping, he was a bit upset he wasn't big enough to hold the quilt up with his big sister and aunt.

I suspect that the blocks are pieced, not appliqued. I can't tell from the small photo whether it's hand pieced.

I say go ahead and take the opportunity. Remember that not every quilt needs SID. If you feel reluctant to do it, a simple quilting plan can be very effective.

The blocks have the look of butterflies, with adjoining yellow pie-pieces. Start in the corner where the pieces join and stitch three or five petal shapes back to the corner. Then stitch the adjoining pie-piece the same. The arcs of strips can be nailed down with a forgiving squiggle-in-the-ditch along each seam and also the seam around the arcs. You can use the same thread for both areas because of the scrappy piecing in the arcs. Use a favorite medium-dense filler in the white for contrast--using white thread so it makes the rest the focus. A stipple would be era-friendly but loops or swirls could be pretty as well. The white can be stitched continuously all along the stitching field. If you want to try SID, start on the straight block seams. If you squiggle-stitch the arc seams they won't need extra attention--and they're hard to be accurate on because of the curve.

Hoping this was helpful. My charge for the non-SID treatment would be a generous two cents an inch, even though there are thread color changes. If I added SID to the mix, 3 cents an inch. My charge goes up whenever there's a ruler in my hand! ;)

If you really aren't comfortable quilting for others and prefer to just do for yourself...........tell her !   I agree that it looks like there could be some issues there too.   Non machine quilters don't really have any idea what goes into quilting a top - especially if there are piecing issues.   I'd rather tell her............"sorry, I'm just not comfortable quilting for others" than to attempt it and have a mess on my hands and make her mad.    haha

It's a Grandmother's Fan quilt.  If you google it, you will find lots of images.  The typical quilting on these is a rose and leaves in the white space.  Nothing says you have to do it that way.  It looks a little atypical for your usual grandmother's fan (the blocks are usually set going all in the same direction), so I'd say just about anything goes.  If you're not comfortable, tell her.  Ask her what she has in mind for it.  Perhaps she only wants an overall pattern.

Archived