cranky mini rant

I'm always a little amazed how words are turned.  Linda is a sweetheart and would give free advice, assistance and love to anybody.  I think what she is saying is that it is amazing that this forum is used as its "PRIMARY" purpose to sell a machine that isn't an APQS.  She wasn't referring at all to all those participants that don't own an APQS and are all of our friends.  We are all here for sharing and not using APQS just to have a forum to gain for our own benefit.   I am a quilter, therefore I share with others, have fun with others, enjoy seeing what others make  whether it be on an APQS or another machine.  Those that post on this forum, share and enjoy all that is offered.  I think her only point was that there are some that come to the site with no intended purpose other than to sell.  That was it.  I don't know how anybody could ever read that and think she was in any way referring to members that don't own a APQS and make it so that they no longer are afraid to post or participate.  All machine owners or non-owners have always been welcomed and well received by Linda and other members.  Since I've been a member I've seen so much love come from this site.  Quilts for babies that had a difficult beginning, quilts for members who have lost a spouse or those that have just had an incredibly hard time in life or a serious illness or prayers for loved ones.  Even a place to vent about NQR things.  The support and friendship amazes me.  I've met many forum members at shows that I would never have met if it had not been for this forum and I will always be grateful to APQS for hosting this forum.  That is what we all love about this forum and seeing somebody come in and use it only for their personal gain can come across as them stealing from this wonderful forum we have.  Just my view. Linda correct me if I'm wrong.

After I bought my Millie, I was able to move out an older machine that was taking up space. Since I advertised in two places, not sure if it was this site or the other but I got lots of inquiries from folks that were looking for a start-up machine. Anyone who investigates the service with APQS would turn to them when they are ready to get into something bigger. Can't beat APQS for customer assistance.

Peggy, if a person comes on this forum and says "I am buying Brand X because I don't like APQS machines"....and I have seen posts of this type...it is not incumbent upon me to make them feel welcome.  I am not talking about the poster who says "I have a Brand X and I just did this quilt."  It is a given that we all bought our machines for a variety of reasons.

One of the reasons I chose APQS was when I went to their booth, my question was "Tell me why I should purchase your machine over your competitors."  I went to each of my other contenders and asked the same thing.  AOQS was the only one who did not disparage the competition.  She sweetly said "I don't know much about my competitor's machines, but let me tell you about mine."

Nobody needs to justify to anyone why they chose whatever machine they did, and I have never seen people treated badly here because they have another brand.  But if a person comes on this forum and criticizes APQS, they are going to be reminded by me to watch their manners

I thnk Madelyn hit the nail on the head.  The original intent of Linda's post was to draw attention to those folks who only join this forum to SELL their X brand machine. They are not on here asking for advice about buying an APQS machine, they aren't asking for quilting advice, and they aren't sharing photos of their work.  They only create an account to sell their machine.  Sometimes they even post an email address for reply, stating that they won't check the forum for replies.

Those are the individuals in question here. 

As for making this forum exclusionary, or turning others away who ask for quilting advice, or who want to share- that is NOT the case; and never would be.  This is a welcoming community for quilters to discuss techniques, materials, threads, etc.  Everybody is welcome in that regard.

Just my opinion, folks. Take it or leave it.

I know what you are saying, that the original post was for people selling only. No one is criticizing Linda.  I have seen Linda post answers to many many questions with lots of great info.   But some of the comments after hers were sort of disconcerting.  Comments like our machine is the best, why should we answer questions about their machines, we should send them away, wish everyone could be as happy as we are, able to create.   These comments bothered me.  It is like if you do not have an APQS you are not doing it right.  Well, I would imagine that every company thinks their machine is the best, and every owner of said machine probably does, too.  I am a new quilter.  I have a disability and limited in funds.  I needed a sit down machine.  I found a great deal on a Tiara and went for it.  I think it is great.  I don't want to come here and feel like I have an inferior machine and that I just can't create or do things right because I have a different machine. I have no doubt that APQS machines are great, but I would not have even known about them if not for this forum.

Hi Everyone,

APQS loves all quilters, regardless of age, race, sex, or even machine brand. Unlike the restricted forums of some other companies, we welcome everyone here--even those who do not own an APQS machine (and those who wish to sell a non-APQS machine). Often we are even the ones listing the item for sale for that very customer.

Most of the time that person has found such camaraderie, support, and great advice on this very forum that she has decided joining the APQS family is the right move for her. Sometimes a life-changing event has forced someone to sell a machine with no intention of buying another. And yes, in a few cases a person lists a machine for sale with the intent of buying a competitor's brand.

We still believe our lifetime warranty, quality, and superior customer service make us the best machine on the market. But we will not bash or demean a competitor's brand to better position ourselves--it's not in our nature and we don't want to do business that way. Each person must find a machine and company that suits their style. It's our hope that if a person is unhappy with their choice of another brand, they will remember the way they were treated by the APQS family and will consider joining us instead.

We get calls all the time for customers looking for a pattern they saw in APQ (American Patchwork and Quilting) or a kit they wanted from AQS (American Quilter's Society), since their acronyms are so close to APQS. It would be easy to simply say "you've go the wrong company" and hang up. But we take the time to help them find what they're looking for--whether it's a web link to the book they're after or the SKU number for the kit at AQS and their toll free number.

In the end, we'd rather be thought of as the company who provided superior service to everyone--even to those who aren't directly our customers--because kindness will be rewarded in the end (even if it's only in the feeling that we did the right thing.)

We hope you'll help us keep that welcoming spirit and that "family" feeling for those who seek it here. Thanks!

Archived