mistake

Lizbeth

I had the most awful thing happen. I pieced my quilt and spent a lot of time quilting it.

It turned out really nice for only quilting the second quilt on Lucey using Quilt Path.

I don't have a wall to hang it on to check it over. When I finished it my family was holding

it up and I could have cried, I have a half square triangle in there wrong. It does not make

the square. The pattern is Labyrinth.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix it?

Take out the quilting in that area.  Carefully remove the offending square, turn it in the right direction and applique it back in place.  Requilt and nobody will ever know.  Easy....No....but worth the effort.

Been there, done that! I do the same thing Lynn does. She is right, it is a pain, but with a pattern like Labyrinth, it is worth fixing. When you get to putting in the quilting, just draw your design in and fix it with your domestic if you are not comfortable with freehand on your longarm. NO one will ever know but you! Good Luck!

I think we've all had similar things happen.  If you don't have a design wall, when you finish a project, wait a day or so, and then lay it out on the floor or have someone hold it up for you to look at it.  A few days will give you fresh eyes on it, and a little distance always gives you a fresh perspective.  As they say, 'once bitten, twice shy.'  It's probably not a mistake you'll make again!

Lizbeth, we've all done it, you are not alone.  I live with mine after it's quilted, but that's an individual choice.

I find it helps to take a picture of the blocks before I sew them together.  Without a design wall, you can take the picture of the quilt top on a bed or even on a clean floor.  Some things I can't see by eye jump out in the photo.

And it doesn't take much to make a design wall.  Just open space on any kind of wall.  Tack a piece of flannel up, I like to use white.  Your blocks will stick to the flannel without pins.  I've used the fuzzy back of a vinyl table cover.  And if you don't have the wall space, consider buying a piece of the blue insulation board sold at Lowes and Home Depot.  They're not expensive.  Wrap one in flannel and lean it against a wall.  Voila, a design wall that can be stored under a bed when not in use.

Good luck with the repair.  Let us know how it goes.  You know we love to see pictures.

Reducing glasses are awesome to for auditioning fabrics and auditioning block layouts. It's quicker than taking photos, so I use my reducing glass up front and then when I think I have it just right; snap that photo! A reducing glass is the opposite of a magnifying glass; it reduces the entire view just like looking through a camera. You can find them at some higher end quilt shops and office supply stores.

When appliqueing the offending block back in, be sure and secure the edges of the blocks you didn't take out, but are now, not stitched down.

Good luck, and yes I've blown it many times in various ways.

Rita.

I pieced a Mexican Star at a quilt retreat one time--it hung on the wall for 2 days there with 11 of my quilting buddies seeing and commenting on the pattern.  I took it home, took a photo and posted that photo on my blog.  My husband said when viewing the photo, "is that block supposed to be like that?"  GRRR--I gave my quilting buddies grief for not seeing my boo-boo while at retreat!!  It happens to everyone!

Archived