border advice-update 6/13/2014 Go to END

I am not sure if I can explain this but here goes..I would cut the border in three maybe 11/2"  to 2" in from both edges and insert a 1" strip of the grey fabric(this would finish at 1/2") you used in the main quilt. this would break up the border and incorporate the grey....If you cut a 1/2" piece of scrap grey you could put on top of the border to see what it would look like.

Just an idea.

Your quilt is great

I agree with Terri The braid would be enhanced by a grey border on either said of the braid and if you haven't made your WHOLE braid , reduce the braid size (the width of your strips) in scale with your compass. The compass is the star of your quilt and the braid border is just the icing on the cake.

This one is very similar to the Relay for Life auction quilt.  If you will remember, Cheri asked me to make one for her with these additional changes. She is going to donate it to the Cancer hospital where her husband was treated.   I hope to get it to her by next weekend.

Two borders on. I still have to make 4 corner blocks, then finish 1 rainbow braid and make 1 more.  Hope to have all the piecing done by tomorrow night, but it is time to stop today.  Severe thunderstorm is grumbling in the distance and I need to get supper done before the power goes out again tonight.

Fold the edges of your braid back to like a quarter inch from the  angle seam on each side and the use the grey again for the binding. Lay it out and see what you think. I also think that the small grey border needs to be about the same size as other grey border.  Good luck. it is going to be awesome!  BTW you can also add the grey border around the corner compass if you need it to make the braids fit to the corners.

Teresa your quilt is beautiful.  Have you thought of not taking the braid all the way around the quilt, say put your compass block in the bottom right corner and them come out half way in each direction with the braid, finish the rest of that border in the plain fabric which ever color looks best, then do the same with the other borders only working from the left upper corner.  Sorry if I'm not explaining so good, I can see it just not get it into words.  Again the quilt is beautiful. Saundra 

Teresa, I see what you mean, and I agree with Dell that the grey border on the outside of "What Cancer Cannot Do" needs to be the same size as the border on the inside of it.

Have you made the corner compass blocks yet?  Just wondering if you would like the braid border better with them included.

This is a beautiful quilt!

I haven't made the compass corners yet. I tried reducing the pattern down to a 3" block so I could narrow the border, but I can't get those curves pieced together that small. After much frustration I gave up on that idea.

I think I am going to try making the grey a little wider, adding the 5" compass blocks, and then maybe using some white and some rainbow, like Saundra suggested. The problem is that all the ripping and resewing is starting to fray the fabric on those panel cutouts.

Archived