Feeling quite accomplished today.

I attached the binding to the back first, then rolled it around to the front and stitched it close to the edge. That line of stitching shows on the back, but it's matching thread and really not that obvious. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Once I got going I just decided to get it done. And I am relieved.

I always do it this way for quilts that are going to be used a lot...............charity quilts, kids' quilts.  I sew on the back, then fold to the front with a decorative stitch or straight stitch close to the edge.  I've used monopolyt thread in the bobbin sometimes so it doesn't show as much as a colored thread.   

Love doing the binding on the machine.  The more you do on the machine the better you get and you won't ever go back to hand doing them except on very special quilts or ones that will be judged.  Would love to see pics of the quilts. 

That is the way I do all my bindings with the sizes that Terry uses.  This method gives me an even look on both sides.  I never could get that the other way.  I use just a straight stitch on front because I like the clean, unclutterd, more professional look.  I know others choose a decorative stitch on the front, but that makes me think of a less professional look.

I wish the industry would accept bindings done this way as acceptable for shows, but it did take them a long time to decide that machine quilting was still quilting.

I have tried doing it this way, but I never get the machine stitches lined up with the seam line from attaching it to the front, so I end up with some spots missing the stitching. Does anybody have a foolproof way of getting it aligned?  I heard of someoby using fabric glue and then stitching, but that just adds an extra step.

I'll have to try it this way.  I usually work the binding front to back, and stitch in the ditch on the front.  However, I'm still not satisfied with it so I think I'll try it your way for a bit.  Thanks.

post-1280-0-93348600-1403401704_thumb.jpgpost-1280-0-69414400-1403402208_thumb.jpgI do binding all the time this way. Stitch on back fold to front.  I however use the multi- stitch zig zag stitch to sew it down. Change the settings to : Length about 2 or 2.5  and width 2 or 2.5  depending on your machine.  I wrote the settings on my sewing table so I don't have to think each time.  Use your walking foot. Place the fold so it runs right in the center grove and the stitch will go on and off the binding.  Off by one stitch and back on.  play and you will find the right setting for you. 

Archived