I just took this quilt off the long arm and I was originally going to do just a loopy meander (not sure what you really call it), but I figured I could do better than just that, so I SID the black mini border and then did piano keys in the outside border.  My question is, what is the normal way to handle SID a border or a sashing?  I actually, for the first time ever, turned my quilt so that I did not have a bunch of starts and stops  when I did my SID.  I started on one of the long sides, stabilized the quilt, SID both sides of a black border, did the piano keys and then did the loopy design until I got to the other side and then did the same.  THEN, I took the quilt off the machine, turned it and reloaded it and did the final two ends.  I had previously done a quilt (one of my first with SID borders) and just SID the width of my opening on the long arm, stopped and moved the quilt forward and then started again.  I did not like the looks of the choppy starts and stops.  Is there a better way?

post-15392-0-25975400-1403210839_thumb.jpg

post-15392-0-09305000-1403210874_thumb.jpg

post-15392-0-39620200-1403210895_thumb.jpg

I sometimes will do all the quilting, then sid the borders on my dsm.  I usually advance and stitch like you described, but stop with the needle down, advance, then move the needle up and slightly re-align before I re-engage the stitch regulator.  That seems to help me get a smooth line.

I can't see one bobble in the piano keys nor the black sid.

I have to say your piano keys are the most perfectly spaced, and perfectly straight, that I've ever seen!

Congratulations. 

Sorry I've no suggestions to help you out.

There are many ways to accomplish SID and no absolute one that names the correct sequence. Find what works for you.

If you're adept at turning the quilt and don't feel it adds too much time to a quilting job, it's definitely easier to SID one long seam horizontally.

I never turn my quilts, but I can SID side border seams without problems. A few hints for SID-ing vertically--slow down and use a ruler to guide the hopping foot. Stagger the starts and stops so if the are a bit visible they aren't lined up in a row. Don't do an "around the world" SID of a border seam unless you've fully and carefully stabilized the interior so there is no fullness inside the perimeter.

Some do SID first, some do it last, and some do it as they go along. I've done it all three ways and many times don't SID if it's not in my customers budget.

You're quilting looks great. The loops are even and smooth. Your piano keys are great. Any straying from the line of SID can be corrected on lighter thread and darker background by using the longarmers friend--a Pigma pen matching the fabric color--to touch up the thread, especially blacks, reds, and dark blues. 

Thank you so much Linda. That is such good advice.  I can see where using a pigma marker might be a good idea especially on this quilt (although it is just for me) where the gray thread drifted over onto the black. 

Rita, this isn't the quilt where I had a lot of starts and stops.  That was the previous quilt that I did.  This one I turned to avoid the start and stops on the SID around the black border. 

Thank you for all the good advice. 

Archived