Hi Everyone,

Of course it's Friday and APQS hasn't returned my call yet. I haven't used my Millie in a couple months now, and when I went to use her today, I noticed a path of oil on the plate under the machine. I could see it when I moved the head. It is about three inches long, one inch wide. 

I didn't want to use her or do anything until I asked about it. Most likely it is from sitting and the oil just settled down the wicks and leaked onto the plate. Does that sound right?

Doing a search on the Forum, I didn't find anyone else that this happened to. 

So I guess I'm asking if this is something that wouldn't be considered a problem after sitting so long. And, can I just go ahead and use her after cleaning it up? I will feel the wicks to see if I should apply more oil very lightly. Since I would think I was over oiling for this to happen.

Sorry for the long post ;-)

Thanks for any suggestions or help!!

Sandy

Wondering about the grease pack?  I think I heard once it can separate and leak an oily substance under the plate on the bottom?  Call APQS - maybe it is time to re-pack the grease?

Also, Mark once said most people "over oil" their machines.   Each time you go in to quilt (especially if it's been awhile) lay your open hand on top of the oil wicks - if your palm has shiny spots, you still have enough oil.  Good Luck!

Sandy

Was the path of oil clear or yellow? If yellow, it sounds like it could be a bit of grease(yellow oily substance)seeping from the gear box along the edge of the metal plate underneath the machine. I had that problem and would need to wipe the area every week or so.

I took a one day maintenance course with Mark last year (at Sparrow Studioz) and asked him about this issue. He said it sounded like the plate covering the gear box (underneath) needed to be resealed. He demonstrated how to repacked the grease box and resealed the bottom plate with silicone seal. Since repacking and resealing, the problem is solved.

APQS has some instruction you may want to request when you order a package or two of grease. It was easy to do and no more mess.

Leslie

Thanks for the replies. I did finally get to talk with Amy. She said nothing to worry about, my Millie just missed me ;-) She said that it was leaking out from the gearbox just because of sitting for long periods. I asked if I needed to put some oil back in there and she said no. She also said if it continued to leak out and bother me, I could take out the screws on the bottom of the box and put some silicone in there to help seal it up so it wouldn't leak out. I wiped underneath real good and could tell that there was some all around the box. So all cleaned up for now. Hope this helps someone else that might come across this issue.

Sandy