GD's Purse

Life has a way of changing when you least expect it to.  A few weeks ago our 17 year old GD came to live with us and will be finishing her last year of school here with us.  Without getting into all the particulars let's just suffice it to say her parents really dropped the ball here.  She is such a sweet and smart girl and she deserves to have what's left of her childhood given back to her and to have a place to live where she feels safe, loved and protected.  There wasn't any abuse so to say except the uncertainty of her life situation.  I love having her here with us.  We gave her the guest room and let her make it into her style.  She didn't change much in it except to move the furniture around.  I cleaned out the closet.  OMG...I had clothes in there I hadn't worn for 15 years.  The biggest shock of all is that she is a teenager with a compulsion for neat and tidy.  Wow! 

She is also a little quilt maker.  A couple of years ago we designed and made a quilt as tribute to an English boy band, One Direction.  She didn't like her current purse and noticed my mini professional tote and wanted to make one like it.  I told her it was hard.  That didn't dissuade her so we got busy picking fabric from my stash.  Can you believe she found this in my stash?  It's taken us several days, but today it is finished.   I'm posting a pic.  She loves it!

post-4696-0-56663300-1404507930_thumb.jpg

Nice work.  I have made one of those for myself.  It works great to toss in the many things if we are going someplace.

I later took out the padded IPad pocket.  It just didn't fit my use, but it works great for keeping the charger cords, etc. in so when we do go I only need to grab it and toss it in.

Oma, what a wonderful gift to have your granddaughter come live with you, and that she is both sweet and smart, it seems you are both BLESSED.  :) I'm sorry for whatever her situation is that necessitated the move, but you seem like such a wonderful lady that I'm sure this is a wonderful gift to her, as well. BTW, that's such an awesome purse she made. Tell her congrats! I'm sure it was no small project and, all the more, she should be proud of herself!!

Great job, Oma. I love the purse. Your granddaughter obviously has lots of style!

I also have a GD who has had a troubled youth. She is 22 and has struggled with anorexia since she was 15. Her parents haven't really stepped up to the emotional support she needs, so my husband and I have been trying to fill that void.

Tomorrow, I am going out with her to look for an apartment. Wish us luck!

Oma, I'm so happy for both of you.  She certainly has talent to end up with a purse like that, even if it did come from your stash.. lol what a find!

Janice, I wonder if it would be for her benefit to be living alone with anorexia?   I don't know much about anorexia so you know more than I do..

God Bless all of you!

Rita

Really cute purse and she did a good job !   Too bad it's always the kids that get the raw deal with things go wrong in families and homes.   Glad she has you, Oma, to help her through this tough time.  I've seen it happen in both our families, too.  Very sad for the kids.

Archived