Panto overload - how do you sort them?

Ok, I am a pantograph hoarder!  :huh: I have over 300 paper patterns.  Now that I admit it, I need help.

Awhile ago, someone posted that they have a binder with pictures of pantographs and a plastic sleeve with the actual design drawn on it to show what it will look like when it is lain on the quilt before quilting.

I have my picture and sleeves ready to go.  Here is my quandary:

1)  How many choices of one "theme or genera" do you keep in your stash?  i.e. feathers, flowers, leaves, etc.

2)  How do you categorize your pantographs? i.e. flowers, leaves, sports, holidays, intricate, easy, etc.

3)  Do you subdivide your pantographs? i.e.  flowers:  roses, tulips, wild flowers, etc.

4)  Do you categorize by names?  i.e. If the name has "feather" in it, is it a feather and/or if it looks like a feather, do you file it under feather category?

Can you tell I am in overload?  :lol:

Thanks in advance!

I'm with you Tonilyn. Vickie calls me the panto queen now I think we need to share that name!   ;)

I have mine divided into animals, Christmas and holidays, feathers, flowers, leaves, novelty, geometric, stars and water like.

Each section is alpha order with a white sheet of paper with the name of the panto written on it. Helps me put the pantos back in place after we pulled out 20+ to look at and select just the right one to use on the perfect quilt!  Good luck!!! :D

HA! I think I you both will have to move over on that Throne.... because here I come with my 300+ pantos!!! :blink:

My biggest problem is storing all of them. Anyone have good ideas/pictures for that?

I try to sort all of them by Flowers/leaves, geometric, Holiday, Novelty, Feathers/ferns, Quilt of Valor and Western.... with the Novelty I try to Sub categorize Baby, Funky, Teen, Animal 

I don't have nearly that many pantos, but for my collection I am using my iPad. I take a photo of a section of the panto, or of the little diagram on the end of the roll, and a picture of a quilt stitched out with it if I have one, and organize them into albums on the iPad. I have a ways to go to get this system as organized and as user friendly as I want, but my customers really like looking at the photos while we are making choices about their quilts. Sometimes not having it super organized works in my favor because we have to go through other photos of quilts and that is a nice way to show off my work.

Carol

if you have a pinterest account i have heard of people putting a picture of each of their pantos

on there to have a record of all of their Panto's

sounded Like a good way to have someplace for the customers to look up your patterns at their leasure.

now storing the paper that is a good question in a box or  drawer ..... I am just starting so I will follow this with interest

Thanks for everybody good ideas 

Have you ever tried the free program called Evernote? I use it to organize my digital files but you could do the same thing with paper pantos. You'll need a photo of each panto or just grab them off the web. Once you pull the photo of your panto into Evernote you can tag them with keywords. You might tag it "Panto", "flower", "leaves", "roses", "formal", for example. Then month's later when you know you need a floral panto just click on as many keywords as you need to drill down to your panto choices. Evernote is sort of like a personal pinterest.

Take a look at the video I did on how to use Evernote for digital patterns and you'll see how it could be use for paper patterns too. I use Evernote every single day and I've gotten to the point that I've upgraded to the paid version but I used the free version for years before I upgraded.

I don't have near that many pantos but I store my in the clear closet shoe storage holders that have a metal hanger on top. I think it has 10 clear open end pockets on each side and I just make a 8x10 sheet of construction paper for each pocket and label what pantos are in that slot. I think each slot holds about 6-10 pantos depending on how tight you can get them rolled back up.

I also have mine categorized like other's have mentioned...but I also have a colored sticker I put on each one.  Each sticker denotes a different pricing level, so if someone comes into my studio and wants one with leaves, I can show them each and instantly can tell them what the cost per square inch is for that particular pattern because it has a red sticker, etc.  I have 3 pricing levels for my pantos.  

Having said that, I only have probably 50 and rarely use any of them anymore, my customers have been gravitating towards more custom and I do mostly freehand all over's now.

Edited to say, I use Evernote for tons of stuff too!

I store my pantos under my frame in large plastic boxes with lids. The boxes are about 19 inches tall so I can store the pantos standing up. I bought plastic sleeves from ebay to store them in so the pantos stay nice and neat and protected from damage, and I dont need to rubber band them. Inside the big plastic boxes I've subdivided sections with cardboard boxes and have labeled the sides with the letter that that section holds. For instance A for all pantos that starts with an A.

post-5206-0-72818700-1405311227_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-98645100-1405311293_thumb.jpg

Inside the big plastic boxes I've subdivided sections with cardboard boxes and have labeled the sides with the letter that that section holds. For instance A for all pantos that starts with an A.

Bonnie,  I think I got the idea of doing this from you.  But when I bought some of your pantos you had for sale you had them sorted with a photocopy sheet of paper of the pattern and name - do you do that for customers, also?  Like, in a binder?  I really thought it was a neat way to organize them.  Mine are stored upright in boxes divided with the wine bottle cardboard inserts/dividers.

I keep getting good ideas here. I do like the Evernote idea!

My brothers have an "event barn" for weddings, receptions, etc.  My sister-in-law will keep wine boxes for me when I'm in need.  They have great dividers that hold 4 pantos each that be labeled or color coded.  I'm still working on what works best.  If you have a winery close - or even a nice liquour store, they could probably save some of the dividers for you.  They can be stored in plastic containers or the actual boxes - if you can get your hands on those.  This is a great topic.  I like all of the organization tips!!!

Hi Marci!! Yes, I do store a copy of the panto pattern in a binder. I store the JPEG of the panto on my computer when I buy a panto and print it out so I can have a smaller print that shows more panto detail and then when the panto arrives I copy it at it's regular stitch out size. I keep both copies next to each other in the binder so a customer can see the actual size and also see a little more of the repeat. And I keep a little bright colored piece of paper in the sleeve that holds the copy to show how much that particular one is if they should chose it. I'm pretty sure the idea came from someone on this site but it's been a while and I don't know who to credit!

I simply love love the wine crate idea with the dividers!

I love the Evernote idea, but hate to rely on computers and programs. I like to see my list printed out. Is there a way to print out from Evernote? I will have to look into it! Right now I keep a typed list of all my pantos, the size, the creator, and where I purchased it from. I have found on occasion that I will buy a panto I already have and it's so disappointing to have two of the same pantos when I could have spent the money on a totally new one! Am I the only one who does this???

post-5206-0-63407400-1405374581_thumb.jpg

This is a different option, that has worked for our studio and my personal pantos.

We have folded them flat, initially folding them around an 8" ruler, and then we have a rack to store them in, flat. I can add a picture tomorrow. We place a square of packing tap on the panto where another piece of tap holding the panto shut can attach to. Clear as mud, right? Pictures speak volumes.

For my pantos, I fold them flat as described above, and then put them in file folders, I alphebetize them, and have a master list of the name, the price and then a photocopy of the design in a plastic sleeve for the customer to flip thro. Stored in a file box, it was handy to transport them like this when I was working between Edmonton and Calgary. I think is saves some space compared to storing the rolls.

I was tired of juggling the rolls and looking for titles. It has worked well for me.

There are some great ideas here! Thanks for asking the question!

Joanne Flamand

APQS Sales and Education

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

Here is a picture of my shoes storage container I think I got at Walmart or Lowes. Each cubby is assigned a letter. Some letters like "F" and the "S" have more than one cubby. I ususally never have to pull from here until I'm ready to quilt. I use my plastic sheets out of the notebook and lay it on the quilt so the quilter can see how it will look. Look great unless I put the panto in the wrong cubby. Then it's a real adventure to find it!!!!

Sorry is it sideways!

14661459345_31095015a1.jpgpicture076 by delld1964, on Flickr

Have you ever tried the free program called Evernote? I use it to organize my digital files but you could do the same thing with paper pantos. You'll need a photo of each panto or just grab them off the web. Once you pull the photo of your panto into Evernote you can tag them with keywords. You might tag it "Panto", "flower", "leaves", "roses", "formal", for example. Then month's later when you know you need a floral panto just click on as many keywords as you need to drill down to your panto choices. Evernote is sort of like a personal pinterest.

Take a look at the video I did on how to use Evernote for digital patterns and you'll see how it could be use for paper patterns too. I use Evernote every single day and I've gotten to the point that I've upgraded to the paid version but I used the free version for years before I upgraded.

Great Video...I just downloaded the free version, looks like this will be great! Thanks!!!

Archived