"Sampler by committee" quilt

Backstory--my guild president each year chooses a block design or theme and members who want to, will make her a block to be made into her "President's Quit". We seldom see these quilts finished and a recent prez issued a challenge for them all to be completed and then they can be hung together at our next quilt show.

You all know what happens in block swaps--the individual interpretation of the theme and/or fabric colors, and issues with finished sizes always seem to provide headaches for the piecer. This one was no different. She asked for "jewel-tones" on white or white-on-white background and star blocks. And all to finish at a specific size. Several were made with beige background. None were the same size and several were really far off. She set them on point and managed to sash them so the all fit together and the top was nice and flat---mostly.

Because the sashings were different sizes, we opted for an overall that made the stars float--in spite of the darker backgrounds in some of them. She enlarged it on opposite sides so it will fit her bed and put a tiny addition at the bottom so she could have enough for a pillow tuck at the top. We needed to keep the side borders and bottom one separate because of the different sizes. I chose easy beadboard for all three borders and It came out fine.

Specs--wool batting (yay!), twelve different colors of BottomLine and So Fine thread, Silver BL pre-wounds for the back. A medium-to-large swirls and pebbles as the filler and CC's mostly for the stars. And the beadboard borders.

Thanks for looking. Scroll right for detail shots.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/14655290096/

My guild won't do block exchanges for that very reason.  One of the exchanges I did online was so bad, I put the blocks in charity quilts.  They were supposed to be 12 1/2 inches, some were 12 1/4, some didn't follow the color rules, points didn't match, etc.  At least this one is gorgeous.

Wow, this one came out beautiful despite all of the variety in block sizes, colors.....you did an outstanding job with the quilting!  I am assuming it is freehand and how long did it take you to do it?

Thanks for the great comments, everyone!

Yes, it's freehand and took about 12 hours. The swirls are an off-shoot of a McTavishing variation and the pebbles were fillers initially for narrow areas. I think they add a lot of interest.

Sparkling and beautiful!  You certainly made it special.

The guilds I belong to make a quilt each year for the outgoing president.  She decides on the theme and the colours.  Sometimes the guild will supply the background fabric, other times not.  The blocks are four and a half inches finished and the instruction is to cut the background bigger and they will be trimmed to size during the assembly.  If the block is the wrong size or colour it generally ends up on the back of the quilt amongst the back art.  The quilt is hand quilted on a frame at quilting bees.  The understanding is that it gives members an opportunity to chat to others they may not know and to try hand quilting, perfection is not expected! The past president is in charge of the quilt and the hope is that each member will make a block.  The quilt is unveiled each year as the president holds her final meeting.

Archived