Thread Nets -tension revisited.

So I've been having some weird problems with tension lately - I've  posted about it -  on a large queen quilt, maybe 5-6 loops total on the back.   Played with tension.    Then my last quilt I had super tension - or so I thought...and once in awhile - like three times on my quilt (queen)  my TOP thread had this loop/knot formed on the top of the quilt.  When I pulled on it,  it was a knot, and skipped stitch.   I'm at a loss.

So out came the thread net to try,  a suggestion from someone in a past thread I posted.   And now I feel really stupid asking this, but is there a trick to putting a thread net on?   Do you let the excess hang on top of the cone, or do you tuck the excess under the cone?    I tried it both ways and my tension became so tight that I had to completely futz around with my tension again.   That doesn't seem right, does it?

sigh.   I really need to take a break.   

Remember, no silly questions here.  I use thread nets on my bobbin winder and have a little extra hanging off the top, and some kind of wrapped under the bottom.  I don't fret about either of them if they aren't perfect though.  I do think that thread nets cause increased tension, meaning you'll have to loosen your tension to get it back to normal.

Start with a break.  You'll feel so much better.

I use thread nets on everything. I store them with them, so I just leave them on when sewing. I have very little on the top and put excess underneath. I have trouble without a net now. Some cones have something to catch the tread on the bottom and I seem to find it without a net.

Shirley

I also use nets on every cone. They stay on the cone for storage. I cover the bottom two-thirds of the cone with the rest tucked under. Just make sure the net sits below the shoulder of the cone so the thread doesn't catch. Sometimes the net will get a bad spot that snags the thread and it will need to be replaced.

Kathy -  yep,  that little wad of batting is always there!

Thanks for the replies.   I'm considering going to magna glides next. This  very random infrequent loop thing is driving me nuts.  My tension on my quilts is great except for the occasional loop.   I analyze where it occurs, in what direction have I been stitching, etc and there is no rhyme or reason.  sigh.

So thread nets is my next experiment....and then new bobbin product.  

Bonnie.......you can get the thread nets at a lot of the online shops, but I recently got some from Fil Tec when I was ordering bobbins.   Superior also carries them.   I use them most of the time and then they also help keep the thread on the cones when they are on my peg board.  I've cut the long ones in half to use on smaller cones.

I love the Glide thread and always use the thread nets as it is a slicker thread.   The one thread I had the most trouble with was King Tut from Superior and my machine just does not like it at all.  Rainbows, not so much either.   

Andrea; maybe your issue is something really simple; don't know how old your machine is or how much use it has but perhaps replacing your tension spring will help?  Pull on the thread when threaded and it should drop to about 9 0'clock, then come quickly to rest at 11 o'clock.  If it doesn't then your spring could need replaced.  A simple fix, and may help solve some of your loopie issues.  Also, be sure that you only have 1 business card distance under your hopping foot.  Sometimes a combination of a couple small things will add up to the issues you describe.  Good luck!!

I always re-read Dawn's article on tension, and trouble shooting articles by APQS on skipped stitches when I am problem solving. There are so many variables that go along with tension. Batting, tightness off the sandwich and side clamps, type of backing and so forth. There might be some tips there for you. Also check all your connections, sometimes those encoders wiggle loose.

Joanne Flamand

APQS Sales and Education, Canada

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

Andrea,

When you can pick out a "knot" on the thread it's actually a slip knot. It happens when the thread twists so much that it finally catches up with itself and it forms a slip knot. Kind of like twisting the ends of a piece of yarn in opposite directions until it's really tight, and then when you pull the ends together, it twists upon itself.

Try changing the path through the three-hole guide by your tension assembly to a "weaving" path (up in the first hole, down in the second, up in the third) instead of wrapping it and see if that helps.

• 2 months later...

okay.  so I finally got a quilt where i can really show and tell what my issue is.   Magnifico top thread, magnifico bottom thread.  80/20 batting.   flannel backing.  

i tried the weave up and down like Dawn had suggested and still getting these random things.   The quilt top stitches in these blips are slightly looser.   These photos are of my backing.   This happened in 4 places on my 75'' square quilt.

Top tension needs to be tighter still???? 

post-11183-0-97268900-1412715967_thumb.jpg

post-11183-0-97241700-1412715973_thumb.jpg

post-11183-0-84338100-1412715978_thumb.jpg

Hi Andrea,

Here's my 2 cents...

I put the thread net over the cone from the bottom.

When I get to the spot where it starts to taper in, I fold the net over itself & back toward the bottom.

I once had the top edge of the net was catching on the thread and causing issues.

By folding it over, the edge of the net doesn't come in contact with the thread.

I store my thread in nets, but only use the net for quilting on slippery, flyaway threads like rainbows.

Hi Andrea - you've probably done this but check that your sandwich is not too tight.  That can cause  an occasional problem too. Dawn says it should be loose enough that if you poke your finger up underneath the sandwich you should be able to grab it from above the quilt sandwich. The 3 layers then seem really loose but it does help.

I have started using thread nets all the time. I purchased the tension testers for the top and bobbin thread from Superior Threads and bought a pkg of a dozen nets from them. I am in the process of creating a chart for the tension on all the combinations of types of thread, fabrics and batting I work with. It has saved me a lot of time and worry. I keep a separate bobbin case for each type od bobbin thread I use. I have set each one for a tension of 220 and now all I have to do is adjust my top tension. I feel they were worth the cost just to relieve some of my worry about tension issues. Sometimes I still tweak the tension after setting it to the number I have listed but usually only 1/2 - 1 turn of tension knob. I put a red dot with a sharpie on my tension dial so I know how much I am turning it.

Archived