I just did the funnest thing! (pics)

I am totally pumped. A couple months ago I got to work with Myrna Ficken and we produced her first DVD. Myrna is an outstanding quilter and teacher of quilting. She has written a workbook on how to use the amazing Hartley Fence and so she decided to do her first DVD on the same subject. After watching her and preparing the DVD for production, I thought it looked so interesting and I learned so much that I had to try it. When a lady from our church asked my wife to quilt two bed sheets together with batting in the middle for a humanitarian project she is running I thought this might be a perfect chance to try out our Hartley Fence.

The bottom line is I love it. I am going to try to attach some pictures to show you what I did with it. I did everything but the binding, my wife did that. Oh, by the way, I?m a videographer, not a quilter. My wife bought her machine in October 2006 and even she is still in the early stages of her learning. I?ve never even sewn on a button let alone made a quilt. - I will admit that I have played with her machine a little and quilted a quilt that she had pieced for our grandson for Christmas, but it was all freehand and I would not have let anyone have it except a child who doesn?t care about the quality of the quilting.

I couldn?t believe that I was able to make something like this and I certainly couldn?t have done it (or wouldn?t even have dared try) without what I learned from Myrna?s DVD. Her workbook is great, but there is nothing like watching her in action on a TV screen as she does it. Besides the detailed ?how to? she gives so many great hints and ideas that I just can?t wait to try another one and try several other things that she shows. I don?t know when she will have it available to the public, but if you have a Hartley Fence or are thinking of getting one I recommend you get in touch with her.

Just so you don?t think this is a sales job, I don?t profit one red cent whether she sells one or a million of these DVDs. I just loved making the quilt after learning what I did while making and watching the DVD and I had to share it.

Thank you for your kind words and for not looking too closely. I really learned a lot doing that quilt, and I'm excited to try some more with cross hatching and eventually using some of the stencils. I don't have the stencil attachment yet.

Tish, As to the discussion about which side of the machine the fence is on; I used it on both. I had to when I had it turned sideways. I found it was just as easy to use on either side.

Laurie, I am visual too. I don't think I'd have tackled it without the DVD. I referred to the book, (On the DVD you'll see the page numbers from the workbook as she taught different parts) but it was the visual action on the DVD that really showed me what I needed to know.

Sewsew, I don't own a CQ so I can't speak authoritatively, but I would say the more work you do without the CQ the more you'd use the Hartley Fence.

Somebody asked if the DVD shows how to put the Hartley Fence on. The answer is "yes". Myrna starts with telling you which parts are what and makes it so simple and easy even I could do it. She gives excellent detailed instructions and then adds lots of little tips and hints you'll love. Oh and it even has a blooper reel that gives you good hints.

Hi everyone.

To answer your questions..

The DVD's should be in my hands Friday. I am excited and nervous a bit I admit. It's hard watching myself :P

Pam, I will have the DVD's and workbooks at MQX Yeah. Or you can order before and not have to carry them home.

I spoke with Hartley about the Fence for Gammills. He said he can make them. He also said the have a different brake system because of the table set up. But he will make you one if you want . Contact me and let me know.

I do show how to install it on your table.

As far as needing it when you have a CQ. Well, probably not. You can do the designs with your CQ. I will be having some of my designs that I do with my fence digitized for the CQ. Keep on the look out for them;) So many things can be done with the fence!!!!.

Myrna

Country Lane is happy :P to be hostessing our "star" :cool: Myrna Ficken at three workshops to be held here in Lee's Summit, Missouri, August 15, 16, & 17, 2007.

[*]Hartley Fence-Combining Spaces

[*]Just DO IT-Freehand

[*]The 3rd class is still a surprise-Myrna is working on a new class

[/list=1]

These are "HANDS ON CLASSES" and we have ordered in plenty of machines so you have LOTS and LOTS of hand on time! You must be preregistered to take any of the workshops so you must let us know you want to attend!

Please contact us at Country Lane Quilting 816-350-2002 or email us at countrylanequilting@mail.com for more information or to reserve your space in one or all of these workshops.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived