Class that should be offered at quilt shows

Ladies

I have an idea for an instructor to teach. Of course it would be for people with long arm and mid arm machines so I guess it would have to be taught at the Machine quilters show. But what about a class that deals with hands on tension resolution. Each machine could have two students and the teacher could set up a tension problem for them to solve. As they solve that problem then she/he could give them a new one whether it deal with different threads or materials or just tension adjustment period. For beginners this would be an invaluable class and for some of us who still have problems after being at it for a few years we could take it and learn some tricks as well.

Of course if anyone out there would like to teach me one on one please feel free to send me a price and time of availability. I would love to learn more about my machine in general as well like when the tension spring needs to be replaced, different ways to thread the machine for tension issues, etc.

Mary

I still go back to Dawn's article on tension on this website, and if you ever get the chance to take her class, do! She talks for the majority of the time about ALL the variables that affect tension before you even touch the dials.

Maybe you should repost it here Dawn? She is my 'go-to-guru' for questions!

Joanne Flamand

APQS Sales and Education, Canada

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

It's a great idea, but more effective would be the same type of troubleshooting class offered by a dealer. I don't know how a show class could arrange to get enough different machines together to fill a class. And what would the fee have to be to cover that?

A dealer could do the same thing, getting four or so people together to offset the fees, and have everyone tinker and tweak with many kinds of thread. With the regional APQS storefronts now, contact the closest one and let them know you're interested. 

Excellent idea!  I, too, go back to Dawn's site for reference.  The other idea for a class would be how to "ready" your quilt for your longarmer, and then how to square up your quilt!  That alone would solve many issues for us.

Beth

Archived