Quilt Shop Theft

The Minnesota Quilt Shop Hop has been going since Friday, the 1st of August.  Already I have received two shop facebook posts regarding theft of samples from their shops.  I just don't get it!!  The shops involved are Front Porch Quilts in Walker MN and Sadie Rae's Quilt Shop in Wilton MN.  As shoppers ourselves, we must be vigilant about watching others too.

Out local shop has a sign hanging in the restroom that reads something like:  "We used to have a pretty quilt hanging here.  Someone liked it so much they took it home with them, so now you get to look at this ugly note on the wall".  I feel sorry for people who think they have to steal.  There must a void somewhere in their life.

As nice and sharing as most quilters are it upsets me that someone would steal quilts....what kind of people do this?  As someone who used to paint and do craft shows, I had someone steal from me once and it still angers me to think about it....I only hope it comes back to them in some way.....we do have to be vigilant and if we notice something "funny" don't hesitate to let a shop person know......

A friend with a pattern business will be at the Quilt!Knit!Stitch! show in Portland next week. Talking at guild, she was looking for someone to work security at her booth.

She has worked the Spokane show here in Washington, which is notorious for theft. She lost several kits and a large quantity of patterns last year and will not go back. She was helping a customer and watched as a group of three women burrowed through a large pile of kits and wondered why they needed to look at each kit when they were all the same. One "accidentally" dumped the pile on the floor and all three stooped to pick them up. One kit got away....

I can see how easy it would be for some people to steal from a booth at a quilt show.  Sometimes those booths are so crowded, it would be impossible to watch everyone and everything.   Just ticks me off that anyone would steal anything.   Stealing from a shop would be really brazen, but it sounds like it happens a lot..........not just little notions, but actual quilts !    I can almost forgive someone for stealing food for their family, but a quilt????   Too many people think they can just take what they want and to heck with anyone else.   

It's everywhere.

My favorite shop installed a fancy camera system cause they were having so much theft.

I almost fell over when I saw it.

She said some guys were stuffing kits and books in their pants while the woman distracted them.

I know times are tough, but stealing fabric?

It's not like food or medicine.

I think most of it is for the thrill of it....to see what you can get away with.

Very, very sad.

I think every retail establishment has theft issues.  I would never feel right about any project made with even a scrap of stolen fabric.  How could you ever look at the stolen quilt with any enjoyment.  I expect these things are being sold.  And I expect many of the thieves sit in church pews every Sunday.

I have always had to work hard for everything I have and am also a very giving person I think!  If someone would ask me for something I would be more than likely to give it to them but to steal, I just don't understand how people do this.  Our quilts are not cheap and we put a lot of time into them so I still just don't understand how they think they can just take whatever they want.

It has happened in SE Minnesota within the last week also :(   So disappointing.  I don't think that the general public realizes that many of the samples are made by staff, at the staff's expense and time, and on display in the shop until the fabric line sells out and then goes home to the staff member who made it (and PAID for it in $ and hours of assembly).  Some are intended as gifts, etc.

One thing I learned..   all thieves are liars.

Not all liars are thieves, though.

Breaks my heart that we live amongst these folks and for the most part, don't know it.

I have had someone come and go into my fabric room.  Since it was in shambles, I c ouldn't really

say what was missing beyond a few batick FQ.

They no longer go in that room.  It's not always easy to control.

Archived