Quilting in the Dark.

I just wanted to see if I'm the only one who prefers the lighting of quilting in the dark.    I had nice overhead lighting installed by an electrician in preparation for my studio.    Now, I find that when I am working from the front of the machine I quilt in the dark (or dim light)  almost all of the time.   I use a side light that casts a light sideways over the quilt top and that's it.    

I love the overhead lighting systems that are offered by APQS and outside sources, but often wonder why?  

Because I'm in the basement,  I come up every hour or so just to get some sunlight into my eyes again... 

Anyone else?   

I too Quilt in the Dark,......  I have just moved back into my home Studio  (Yeah!!!!  5 years in a cramped room was too long) 

I have overhead lights above my machine that I use when loading,...  unloading and maintenance between quilts,....

I also have a row of lights behind me over my Sewing area,.....

I turn off the lights over the machine when I am quiltinq and only leave on the lights behind me,....

It casts great shadows and makes small detail work much easier on my aging eyes ;0)

That's a neat idea.   I quilt in my finished basement.   No outside daylight, but I do have good flourescent ceiling lights.  There are times when it is had to see my stitiching.........certain fabric patterns, colors, etc.   Might have to make myself one of those lights.

I heard all about side lighting when I was a newbie BUT no one ever said to turn out the other lights and ONLY use side light. I quilt like this a lot! I have a fluorescent light that is longer than my bars and it just sits on top. I taped paper in to it to stop it glaring in my eyes. I LOVE Jamie W.s light ! I think I will build one. Eva use I often knock my light off. His version would stay on the rails better.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Hmmm . . . are you the same person who was complaining about needing bifocals on FB . . .  ha ha !  I am having a heck of a time with a quilt right now where the thread is almost identical to the fabric.  I feel like I can't see a thing - I'm in the basement, but have windows on either side of my Freeda, it's sunny outside and have pot lights overhead!  My husband is getting very tired of me saying I can't see a thing . . . maybe I should turn the lights out altogether?? 

Ha Ha!  Bev - Yes I am the one who needs readers/progressives and now use them all the time.  I can see even better now in the dark! LOL.  My eyestrain and droopy aging eyes are no more! Who knew??

Yes,  close the blinds up if you still cannot get the right shadowing and put the side light on.  I turn the machine light off too.   

I have a little desk lamp that I set on the back of the frame and use it for custom work. It provides the perfect shadowing. The only downfall is that I have to move it on occasion to quilt another section on a quilt. I'm going to have to check out the video on the side lighting!! Thank you for posting it!

Buy an under-counter fluorescent at the home improvement store (less than $20). Make sure it's longer than the distance between your rollers. Mine sits nicely to the left of the machine and pointing toward it. The plastic cover cuts down glare. Turn off the machine lights and room lights. It's amazing how much it helps with matching thread or black-on-black.

Hi Madelyn. You can find many goose-neck style side lights that attach to the machine head with adhesive mounting tape. They have a long flexible neck so you can find the best angle and use from either side for stitching with a sit-down. I'll find a link...

Very irritating video sound, but you get the idea. Google "flexible light" for lots of others.

"The mention of black on black is what caught my attention the most.

I'm close to finishing a quilt mystery with black background, and never again,

unless the price is right!

I have a table goose neck lamp I can try.. bet it helps to lower the lighting

in the room.. even if it is the overheads.. and one small, small window.

thanks all for comments, ideas, etc.

Rita

Archived