Just learning to quilt, looking for fabric scraps, etc. and HELP

Rachel57

Hello Everyone,    I am a beginner.   I am trying to learn to make quilts.   I have 11 grandchildren and 7 of them are girls.  I would love to learn to make quilts and make them each one to have from Grandmom, long after I am gone.   My problem is, I live on a very small income and after bills, there isn't much left to be able to go to store and buy yardage.   I was so hoping maybe someone would have fabric to share,  scraps, threads, anything wonderful for quilting.  Sure hoping someone might have a little to share.  Someday, I even hope to have a cutting mat, rotary cutter and a nice quilt ruler, but for now, I will trace patterns and cut them out with scissors.   Any pointers or advice is very welcome also.   Thank you for your time,  Happy Quilting Day,     Rachel

Most people have learned to be suspicious of pleas for help on the internet. The system is full of scammers and trolls who are looking for gullible but generous people to cheat or make fun of.

Your post, even though it may be true, doesn't contain enough information to make someone delve deeper to see if you are who you say you are and whether you have a real need. 

With that sorry truth in mind, please post your location (town) and an identifiable email address so you can be contacted and your identity verified.  Perhaps someone from this internet community lives close to you and can steer you to a local guild or quilters group that can help with instruction and other charity.

Please post some contact info. Quilters are generous to a fault and are happy to help others who are in need.

Also check out your local used item shops, ie Good Will,  Second hands.

ABU  (already been used)  cotton garments at the used shop can also

have good areas still on them.

Ask your friends, you will be surprised at who is a quilter.. or one who uses cotton

to make clothes for the children, themselves.. etc.

Those who use fabrics for crafts often have small scraps which can be sewn into

a pieced piece of fabric, then trim to square, etc.

Rita

• 2 months later...

Rita is right, Good Will  Salvation Army stores are the best for  cotton fabrics and to play with color, shapes and sizes.  I have seen a video where a shirt was deconstructed and every single piece was used, including the folded flange for a cuff.       Perhaps a search to find that video will help you also.  Have fun on your new journey of exploration.

Where are you located?  If you have a local farm services or Ag extension office they might offer quilting classes for a very small (perhaps free) fee.  Watch yard sales and thrift stores for quilting books and fabrics. You can also pick up 100% cotton shirts for a few cents at a yard sale or thrift store. They can be cut to make 5" squares for a simple quilt.  Let us know more information and we will be happy to help you get started.

I agree Jim.. an update would be nice if it only says I read your posts.

It is sad, that people beg.  I go to court on Tues as I pressed charges

on a guy, a beggar, who spit in my face.   that is a Felony here in NC.

Suffice to say an initial night in jail under a $1,500.00 bond, and probably

jail time in the sentencing, just might teach him something.. but then he

begs hundreds of dollars a day.. makes a very nice living and pays NO taxes.

We personally have seen a beggar stop begging, walk across the street which

was also a highway, and climb into a very pricy motor home, and I mean

$250,000.00 range. 

Makes me sick.

Archived