Looking for advice

Good Morning!  I'm looking for some expert advice.  I'm piecing a quilt and for one of the fabrics I want to use a leftover piece of a wide back.  The size of the piece is such that it makes the most sense, and will be easier, to cut on the lengthwise grain.  The rest of the fabrics, I had planned to cut across the width.  Is this going to cause a problem in the construction or quilting?

Thank you.

g

The only thing is, the lengthwise grain has no stretch, so you can't tug on the pieces a hair to make them match up. If you cut carefully and sew accurately, you should be fine. Most quilts have the grain going in all directions anyhow. Each square has a cross grain side and a lengthwise grain side, and we don't keep track of which is which as we assemble our quilts. Some piecers recommend cutting sashings on lengthwise grain, and it is recommended to cut borders on the lengthwise grain. I would say go ahead and use it anyway you want.

I've done it many times. Since you have seams in all directions you will have some that will most likely make some 'hammock" affects and it can cause the backing to have some folds or pleats. If you are aware of this and check the backing each time you advance you will end up with a nice looking back. Your side clamps will work with you. Be careful not to stretch the backing too tight or when you release the quilt the backing will go back to its original size and it won't lay flat.

Archived