Cutting a table down

Darlene, contact a local welder. Shortening the rails and the rollers requires some heavy machine muscle. Then the ends of the rollers are re-attached. Another thing to consider is how to transport the long pieces to the machine shop.

Is there any way she would be able to fit the 14' frame diagonally or butted into a closet? I'd be afraid the added expense of shortening the table would add too much to the final price. :mellow:

Darlene:  Does this model Millie have a special truss system, or is everything just held together with the table top frame?  If it's a truss -bolt together- you'll probably have to exchange the 14' for a 12' table.  If it's just the table top frame,  you can cut the frame to the new length, build new brackets (if it's held together with brackets) or drill new mounting holes.  Then cut the rollers to the proper length to fit the new frame and replace the roller ends.  I built a leveling roller for my Ult2 table.  It wasn't all that easy.  but I had to fabricated the ends for the new roller.  You'd only have to have the roller sectioned, and the parts welded back together.  Take the table to a local welding shop and tell them what you want it to end up as.  If it's too difficult to take the table, take extensive photos of the frame and rollers and talk to them about the modifications.  You should then have a good idea how much it will cost.  Jim

Thanks for the info Barb. No, it can't go diagonally.

Jim, the table is the old style with the adjustable frame and square legs. It has the 4 rollers and auto fabric advance, so no need to keep the feed dogs on the ends for ratcheting the tension. A new table would put the price of the machine out of reason.

Darlene

Ask Dave Jones how he does this.  My Ultimate 1 had been cut down to about 10 feet sometime in it's life.  I bought a set of used 14 foot rollers and rails from APQS when we were at the Kansas show a few years ago.  A local welder should be able to cut everything down and drill new holes in the rails to attach the legs.

Nigel

Archived