Help for securing stitches

I did a light custom job recently and I saw my customer frown while noticing one of my starts / stops on the back. The stitches were tight but I went back and forth too many times I guess. It didn't look that way on the top though. At light custom prices am I supposed to knot and bury all of my stops?

And should I go back to my customer and discuss this?

One of the things I struggle with is what is the difference between normal variation and a mistake?

I am starting to get a feel for it by how many times I pause to look back at the offending stitches and then I realize, no that has to come out.

I do believe there are more perfectionists in the quilting world than other places, and some of them are my customers!!!

I would not knot a bury threads unless I was paid extra. I do not go back and forth, however. I do about 1/4 inch of very tiny stitches, go back one or two stitches, then change to whatever stitch length I plan to use. Never had a complaint. Some perfectionist customers are not worth having. They need a quilter with a computer, then we will all be happier.

There is the little stitch method, the sew back over yourself method and the coo coo clock method and I'm sure many more. My clients sure don't pay enough for me to tie and bury every stop and start. There are occasionally a quilt I might do it on, but it would have to be real special.

I use my Quilt Glide option. I turn it on, which starts the needle cycling up and down, then move the machine very slowly. If I didn't have Quilt Glide, I would use the single stitch button, hold it down and move the machine very slowly for the quarter inch, back a stitch, forward a stitch,pause, then set stitch length and go.

I did a large art quilt, heavily quilted..hundreds of starts and stops and color changes.I worked on it for two months..a month to quilt it, a month to knot and bury. It's very labor intensive and most quilters don't do it on client quilts. You can make them less obvious with

practice. A busy backing helps. As a quilter once told me, if they don't like the way the back of the quilt looks, they need to make better backing choices. If they are objecting to the starts and stops on the front of the quilt, you need to work on your technique.

Really enjoyed reading all comments. I've been doing Linda S. Technique ever since I started Longarming. So far nobody has complained even the judges. I asked Deloa years ago when I took classes from her about this.

It will also help to match thread and better backing is always good.

@ some point, it's better for such clients to go elsewhere IMHO.

I have IQ & it doesn't secure my starts & stops, I still do freehand quilting.

Archived