quilting business

would love to buy a quilting machine. how difficult is it to start a business to help offset the cost? how much business could i expect from a website? (i do websites so creating one would be no problem.) how about renting my machine out by the hour? does anyone out there do that? If yes, what do you charge? Has anyone had problems with this?

I bought my machine, a mille, this year and took delivery late July. I didn't really have any work lined up when I bought it, but have stayed pretty busy. I read the literature that APQS put out showing about how much work you would have to do to pay for your machine in a year. That is very misleading though. It doesn't take into account your supplies and such. I started on a very limited budget and only bought the very necessities. I don't know about a website because I don't have one up yet. Renting your machine might work for you, but you need to consider the insurance risks and such. I've not had anyone ask to use my machine. Also you need to consider how long your machine is going to be tied up with one persons quilt. What if they decide not to show up at a scheduled time and the quilt is halfway done? I know that alot of the women here have said they didn't have much luck with their local quilt guilds, but so far mine has really helped with my business. Goodluck!!

Kelly

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I haven't gotten a lot of business from my website, but it is handy to have so clients can look and see what they need to do before they bring me a quilt. It also gives them a reminder of how to contact me. I think you will get most of your business by taking samples to local quilt shops and letting customers see what you can do. All I can tell you is, this is a wonderful business.

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also interested in starting a quilting business. I'm afraid the market is going to get flooded very soon. I talked to one woman who owns a quilt fabric store and they are taking quilts with a completion date of July-August. They offered to help me after I show them my work. Would small quilts or wall hangings quilted on my machine work or would they require the samples be with a long arm?

Also, I discovered I won't be able to quilt large quilts on my sewing machine, so I am in a position that either I can't make the large quilts (I know I would NEVER get done if I hand quilted them), or I buy a long arm.

I am going to attend the IMQA in Overland Park, KS this May. I plan to seriously try out all the machines and check into costs of starting a business. I have already visited APQS and want to compare it with the others.

Archived