Design help needed - Blazing Star Wallhanging

Hi everyone, I am in need of some design help for this 46.5" square wallhanging which will be used as a class sample. I do need to use computerized designs as I do not do free-motion quilting very well. I'm thinking of feathers in the gray setting triangles and maybe in the red 4" border. I need ideas for the interior Blazing Stars and the black 2" border. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated to help get my creative juices. I usually do pantos but this top is screaming for custom and I am having a tough time visualizing anything other than straight lines in the center (and I don't do ruler work very well). Also, if you know of a panto that would look good on this, I would also consider that. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

(By the way, here is a link to a larger picture on my flickr site - I can't figure out how to paste the picture in here.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/bodaciouscreations/15052408066/ )

post-1242-0-89801100-1409346987_thumb.jpg

Sue, here's a link to a photo of an easy freemotion design that would give great sculptured definition to that black 2" border. Check out the pale blue border.

Mark diamonds with chalk on the border---make them any number/length that fits from cornerstone to cornerstone. Then stitch close parallel lines to fill the space outside the diamonds. Beautiful stitched with matching thread. Arrow right for a detail shot---you can see my lines aren't exact, but it works. I call them "soft diamonds". 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/14890444579/

Feathers in the triangles, and Linda's ideas for the border is great - you could use contrasting thread in those large triangles, although it might be too busy.

I would put something dense in the lighter side of each star side to push it back so the dark pops. Can you find something feathery to put in the white areas in the star to mimic the outer triangles? Any place I want to push the colour back I use a fine thread such as Deco Bob (80 wt) or Invisifil (100 wt) by Wonderfil. You get great texture, without it being so 'thready'.

A feather treament in the outer border, or just plain piano keys or cross hatching would frame the center nicely.

Will love to see pictures of the finished product!

Joanne Flamand

APQS Sales and Education, Canada

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

Archived