Quilt labels or tags

My thought is that while you have done them a personal service, it's their quilt. I have a wish and an expectation that my name would be on the label as the quilter, but if it doesn't happen I'll never know about it unless it's in a quilt show. And show rules and quilting etiquette dictate that all contributors be named on the quilt entry and label.

You can certainly ask them if they'd like a professional label for their quilt, either as an add-on that's charged for, or a promotional freebie. Then have them fill out a form stating what information they'd like on the label. There are many programs for printed or embroidered labels available and many longarmers offer a free label with every quilt. This way you can be guaranteed that your name will be on the quilt. 

Generally, the label should state the owner, maker (if different), quilter (if different), date of completion or presentation, occasion of presentation, and location. 

For example--" Lovingly made for Lisa Simpson upon her graduation, June 17, 2014.

Pieced by aunt Bessie Simpson and quilted by Mary Scott, Paducah, Kentucky"

Any other pertinent info can be added. Or it can be as simple as name/year/location on the label. 

I don't think most people would want the quilter's information on their personal quilts.  The key word here is "personal" quilts.  I know I wouldn't unless Linda quilted my quilt then I would probably cover the whole back and half the front with "Linda Rech quilted this".   :)  However, if it's entered into a show or otherwise promoted publicly then the quilter's name should definitely be prominent.  Just a personal opinion.

When you buy a new car the dealer's name is usually on the license plate holder.  I left mine there.  I bought a car once where the dealer's name was glued to the trunk and I removed it.  If I had that car painted I certainly wouldn't want the painter to put his name on it unless he did a fancy job and I was entering it into a car show and he gave me one heck of a deal to paint it. 

When I had some remodeling done on the house I would have been upset if the guy who did my wood floors carved his name on it somewhere.  Do you see where I'm going here? 

If you are being paid to do the quilting then it's a service and it's different.  If you are personally involved with the person getting the quilt then I think they would love seeing your name as quilter on it.

You could make cloth labels with your info and safety pin it to the quilt when your finished and the quilter can decide to attach it permanently or remove it entirely.

Thanks for the replies that is what I thought was correct but so much is said about quilt labels that I wanted to check in with the "authorities" and make sure that I was thinking correctly.  I always know that I can come here and find the answers I am looking for or at least a source to go to.

Mary

• 11 months later...

It is two artist (craftswomen) coming together to make a quilt.  I'm not just hired for a service, I'm hired for my artistic abilities (especially with custom work) and believe Makers should sign their work.  I stitch a motif or initials on the quilt as well as the piecers initials (with permission), and have learned to be upfront with why I do this.  Most of my clients are proud that we collaborated on their project.  The one client who just yesterday complained wants me to be invisible.  We are sorting out what to do.  It might be if I use a pantograph or design board I won't sign.  If it is my original designs I will sign. I'm still deciding on what to do.  It is sad (and a product of how society views women's work?) that she doesn't see me as a craftswoman or artist but only as a service for hire.  I disagree.  I think we women need to claim our craftsmanship and art especially when hired to collaborate on a project.  

Archived