Applique circles - opinion/help please? **completed photos added

So this quilt came to me.  First time quilter made it.  Wall hanging.  All circles are appliquéd.  Any opinions of how to deal with the little circles?     My gut tells me to quilt the white ones, and the white backgrounds of the printed circles.  Let the print 'pop'  with very little quilting.   But - the white circles are all appliquéd.    Client doesn't care - she wants me to do what I want  (words of death) 

What do you think?   Or just quilt the background of all the circles, and let all the circles 'pop'?

The big black fussy cut appliqué  circles will be lightly quilted using the printed pattern as a guide and the white background will be densely quilted.  

Any ideas or further suggestions on how to quilt the circles?    I think what is stumping me is densely quilting something that has been hand sewn down.   :-/

post-11183-0-02597100-1409858162_thumb.png

Good eye, Terry!

Hi Andrea. I like your idea of quilting down all the white---even the white circles. Then all the print fabric will pop, including the print fabric surrounding the white circles. That one has a lot going on! I think such a busy quilt with so many colors and such small piecing elements needs something like that treatment to calm it down and let the piecing shine.

Piecing errors??? Seriously??? How can you tell? This one falls into the OMG category for me. The only thing I do know is I would not treat the white circles as background. I would feature all the circles as foreground and densely quilt the backgrounds, whether

they are print or white. I think the circles are the best part of the quilt. Beyond the center section, the rest makes no sense to me.

Thanks again for the suggestions -  Lynn yes,  that was my hesitation - do I feature all of the circles as foreground, or just the printed circles. I appreciate the input.  

Ann - thanks for the heads up on the book!

Let's not worry about the errors, ;) , my client is aware of them and it being her first time, she is just uber excited to have it done and get it quilted modern style for her office.    I don't blame her! It is a very ambitious first time project and I'm proud of her!  ....and super chuffed that I get to work on it!

Just trying to hash out what to do with those little circles.  Thankfully, I can work all around them for now, stabilize, and then tackle them last   :D

I will post some photos as I get it done. 

You know I'm not a modern quilter, but, what would you think about putting spirals in those white circles - even all those small circles? I think I have spirals on the brain because I just finished doing that on a quilt - I'll show you later!  You've done a fantastic job so far from what I saw on FB!

Yes, there are piecing errors in the top left block, but the top right block needs to be rotated too.  It's not set in there correctly.  Good ideas for the quilting.  Depending on the type of batting used, I'd not leave the circles unquilted and expect them to pop.  What often happens is unquilted areas flop.  You need a very lofty batting to get areas that large to poof out.

Hi everyone -  this wall hanging (80 x 80) was so much fun to quilt.    Here is the finished product.   I decided to keep all of the print fabric circles raised, and did a very light quilting on the white circles.  Was going to do spirals on them, but tried a few times and it just wasn't going to look right the way I was executing them.    On the larger black/white circles I just quilted over top of the curved designs to give some light texture.  

post-11183-0-52716400-1410477501_thumb.jpg

post-11183-0-87274600-1410477509_thumb.jpg

I see the piecing errors in the top right block.  The turquoise check pieces go into and out of the corner, according to the other 3 corners

they should go across the corner.   It really shows up once seen.. lol,  they weren't there until they were pointed out.   I'd like the chance

to correct the problem since it does detract from the overall prettiness of it.

\You really did make the quilt into an art piece.   KUDOS !

Rita

Wow you did a beautiful job quilting this quilt and I give the lady that made this quilt alot of credit.  For a first quilt this was a pretty tough undertaking. We all learn from our mistakes and I'm sure she will love this quilt. The quilting really makes this quilt pop. I don't know who the lady is that made this quilt but us as seasoned quilters need to encourage new toppers she wasn't entering her quilt in a show we don't need to be "The Quilting Police".  I think she did a great job and so what, if she made a couple of mistakes, at the end of the day she can say she made her first quilt and for that I congradulate her :) 

Thank you for sharring this quilt and how you quilted it :) Beautiful!!!

I hope I didn't come across as a nay-sayer.  For anyone this quilt would be a challenge.

I merely pointed out where I thought the actual piecing error was, by comparing

the other corners to it.   I didn't even see it until the other corner was pointed out..

meanwhile, I think she and the quilter did a wonderful job.. and made it a true work of art.

Encourage her all you can Oma, and tell her I think it is beautiful..

Rita

Archived