How to Jump Sunbonnet Sue

I'm crosshatching in the background of the block around some cute little Sunbonnet Sues. I can't figure out what is the most productive way to stop stitching, tack ends, jump Sue and start stitching again ... I've tried stitch, tack, jump Sue, stitch; I've tried stitch, tack, cut, jump Sue, stitch. I've left the threads on the back side, rolled the quilt, cut the trimmed jump stitches, rolled the quilt back and did the next row.  I just can't figure out what is the best process ... each one I use seems so time consuming. What do you do?  Thanks for your help ... in the mean time ... stitch, tack, cut, jump, stitch....stitch, tack, cut, jump, stitch,... stitch, tack, cut, jump, stitch ... every 1/2".....  

I stitch from the out side into the Sue, stitch close to the Sue down or up to the next line and stitch out to the edge of the block, stitch along the edge of the block up or down to the next line.  When I come to a line that goes all the way across the block uninterrupted, I start up or down the other side. When all the lines are in I out line Sue one more time.  Most of the time I can go the whole block.

I outline (whatever like your Sue) and then I travel from crosshatching line to the next. It helps if you are using a thin or fine thread and matching so the build up is not noticed.  If you are using a high contrast thread then you get to enjoy the life of stitch, pull threads, cut, tie knot and bury threads!!!! 

Good luck, Jeannie!

Archived