X and o quilt taking it off the frame

This quilt was a group project with my guild Central Alberta Quilt Guild everybody who made a block got a chance to win the top.... the catch is if you win you organize the next years quilt. I figured this out after I made and turned in one block...guess what.... I won. I organized a churn dash block for my project it is due on the Dec meeting, it is in pieces right now. Now to this quilt it was paper pieced string blocks in black whit and red then was put together with solid black. I was not sure what to do with the wide 6" border but looked at it for awhile then I started drawing on it with chalk and came up with this feather and straight line design..I love how it turned out. I used a 80/20 batting and a fuzzy costco blanket for the backing, supper cozie in our Canadian winters..oh ya guess what we had yesterday SNOW about 8 INCHES ya that is about 2 months early. Oh well it was a good day to sew.  I put the binding on while it was on the machine so all that is left is to hand sew to the back. This will be a wedding gift for my niece's wedding next summer.

Thanks for taking a look 

post-63431-0-13315500-1410280784_thumb.jpg

post-63431-0-34383300-1410280838_thumb.jpg

post-63431-0-36896900-1410280870_thumb.jpg

Wow! I love the quilting on it.  Fabulous texture!  How did you find that costco blanket  for quilting?   Can you elaborate on that?

I hear ya on the snow.   Forecast for more tonight.   yuk.  I usually embrace the crazy weather here, but this year...I'm done with positivity.  LOL

Thank-you for all the kind words

Costco blanket: 

I make sure I run the stretch perpendicular to the roller 

I loosen off the front roller before I advance the quilt,

then tighten the front roller to make snug but do not stretch

I also like to add a very thin 80/20 batting to give it body

This quilt is on the heavy side but very cuddly also.

That being said I have a friend who tried to use a blanket

and had the pile from the blanket was pulling up to the top of the quilt.

I have done three quilts with this as a backing and have never had a problem

Hope this helps 

I've used blankets for backings many times. Often I have used plain white prewashed flannel for batting. Allows for nice drape wothout being too heavy. Also prevents tufts of fuzz from blanket backing from being pulled to the surface of quilt top.

The blanket makes nice texture in quilting.

Beautiful quilt BTW

Terry, the snow fall you had was on our local ABC news last night.. one of the main topics with weather, I think.

Give me da kweeps...

Going to be a hard winter I think.    Tent catapillars are rampant and going to really affect our trees.. We've seen

where they strip a tree bare, that is a good 14-15 feet tall.

Prayers for all our winter weather.. that all be sd prepared as they can be.

Just one of my 3"45 a.m, brain wanderings.. lol

Rita

Terry, the snow fall you had was on our local ABC news last night.. one of the main topics with weather, I think.

Give me da kweeps...

Going to be a hard winter I think.    Tent catapillars are rampant and going to really affect our trees.. We've seen

where they strip a tree bare, that is a good 14-15 feet tall.

Prayers for all our winter weather.. that all be sd prepared as they can be.

Just one of my 3"45 a.m, brain wanderings.. lol

Rita

Yes Rita it is an interesting year for sure. We are Farmers and Harvest just started when the snow hit.

Everything is laying flat and wet at the moment hoping for some good weather so we can get our crops

in the bins...the life of a farmer always something interesting for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived