Sign in to follow this  
Milly Young

Does a Black light help on dark fabrics?

I'm doing a lot of stipppling in red on a kaki and navy and dark red string quilt its King size.  I can't see the red thread on the strings very well.  Will a black light help?  Any suggestions?  Help!!!

Milly in Santa Fe

longarmmilly@gmail.com

I do not know about the black light but read the thread called quilting in the dark....some very interesting ideas on this thread may help you with your problem just type in the search area Quilting in the dark it should pop up Let us know what you find works for you

Terry

A black light will help only if the thread you are using glows under the light. Better to turn off your machine lights and use a side light. I believe the thread Terry mentions goes into detail about the many side lights that quilters are using.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

I can't say for sure about black lighting as I've never used it. A simple light coming from the side works great though, like a small desk lamp or even the one that Jamie Wallen has posted a You Tube video on. I just made one of those but find my desk lamp actually works just as well, maybe even better. Here's a picture of a string quilt that is on the frame now. I couldn't get a good shot using overhead lighting but with a side light like Jamie Wallen uses (first photo), you can see the quilting better. With the desk lamp (second photo), you can see it even better but the material isn't so busy so that could have an effect I guess.

post-5206-0-31005000-1410314292_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-80537600-1410314506_thumb.jpg

Jamie Whallen has a YouTube on how to make your own side lights.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4-t871-Q_U

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif
Side Light

Blissful Quilting until next time…

Judith Washburn

BlissQuilter.com

APQS Dealer

Sealy, Texas

832-724-6335

Complete Longarm Quilting Studio

Millennium Blissed with IntelliQuilter

Lucey Blissed with Quilt Path

My new Led lighting system from Mike Ferris was installed yesterday by Dave Jones who services my Millie. I like the newfound better visibility. I haven't tried quilting in the dark yet & I don't have glow in the dark thread to test.

Maybe Heidi could chime in as she has the same light installed.

8E0E35981D02CAFC132FF6C4CC79AB40.png

Corey Starkey

IQ & Bllissed Millennium