No more "day job" for Linda!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congradulations! Some words of advice from one who retired four years ago....Take your time!  You are retired!  Seriously...time moves differently once you are retired...there is time to slowly sip that second cup of coffee....sit in a nice soft chair in the morning and wiggle your toes in your slippers....stop to watch the birds fluttering about in the trees...for the most part few places you HAVE to be at.  It is easy to over-commit to stuff...church, guild, friends whatever....and your life can become just as hectic or even more so....so do it slowly...take time to savor life and add things on slowly and don't be afraid to say NO.....it takes time to adjust to the rhythm of retired life....I think most working people are so over extended that it takes a while to learn a more natural pace....watch your pets if you have them...see how they live...usually a fair amount of naps and stretching and just hanging out if they are like mine....I think the first 2 1/2 years I was retired, I spent learning to slow down and finally getting enough rest......I was totally burnt out when I retired....and I can honestly say...I missed work for about 10 seconds and then I was over it....I still do get together with a couple of people from work...but only the ones I want to  :)  One of my friends who retired shortly after I did still felt a need to "fill out her schedule" and she is constantly rushing all over the place....I find it a bit exhausting to spend too much time with her as we are always on a schedule and she has to rush off to the next thing...of course this is her thing...so I guess it is OK for her....for me...I am enjoying my "slow time"...LOL...still am behind on the UFO's though...thought they all would be done by now.....Lin

Congrats! I know everyone believes that once you retire you'll have oodles of time to do what you want to do but you've already made the number one mistake for that to be a reality - you told people that you have retired :) I "retired" seven years ago (gee where has the time gone?) and have been busier than ever. I really don't know how I had time to work. My best advice is to remember: "No" is a complete sentence. Schedule "me" time and don't let anyone guilt you into doing something you don't want to do. Family time will take up any so-called spare time. I'm one of the sandwich generation but love being able to help my folks and my grandkids. Time with them is more valuable than the $ from quilting. 

Linda, you are a true treasure to this forum. I've followed you and learned from you for years. You've gone out of your way to help me and many others. And that was BEFORE retirement.

I'm sure your organization and people at work will miss a work ethic like you have. It's a rare commodity in this new generation.

Before I retired, I went to a seminar on retirement. These are the things I recall that were key.

1. Get your automobiles and major appliances in order $$ before retiring.

2. Take up a new hobby.

3. Learn something new.

4. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.

The second and third items are what got me into quilting. Quilting actually covered both for me. I know you're already quilting, but Quilting covers a multitude of different avenues, like designing, teaching, competitions, not to mention the many types of quilting. So I'm sure you will find some new challenges to keep your brain and body active. A preacher friend told me he read an article about keeping our brains sharp and that quilting was near the top of the list. Up there with sudoku.

So good luck, enjoy and I look forward to following your new adventures.

Heck, if I'd known retirement was going to be so much fun, I'd never gone to work.

Thank you so much for your warm well-wishes and the great advice! What a wonderful group of friends!  :wub:

My last few years at the job was part time, allowing me to quilt and have time for other things. So the transition will be easier than if I was a full-timer. 

I have several trips planned with family and our only son is getting married in June. The festivities will be here at home, so pray for sunshine please!

And I have a quilting retreat in the spring--I'm so excited to actually have some piecing planned. I have a wedding quilt to make!

Again, thanks so much! I actually asked Den yesterday what day it was! He cracked up!

Congratulation on the retirement, just don’t let others find so much for you to do that you never make it to things you had planned for yourself. Please continue to post to the forum we don’t want to see you retire from the forum also. Hope you enjoy it to the fullest. Saundra :)

Congratulations Linda! I am green with envy. After 32 years, I am holding on by a string. What ever happened to 30 and out? Well, I refuse to go more than 40. As soon as I faint from holding my breath in anticipation, I'm done. :D So happy for you. Hope every morning brings a smile.

Archived