fusible applique questions

When making a top from the McKenna Ryan kit, which is the best fusible to use?  What is the best way to quilt it?  Will it be washable, or will the edges of the appliques ravel? Has anybody every made one with a needle turn applique technique?

Sorry for all the questions, but I got an entire kit with the patterns and the special fabrics and I would like to do something with it other than have it stored in a plastic crate (where it has been for 2 years)

McKenna Ryan considers her quilts to be art quilts that will not be washed - she mentions this in her patterns. A long time ago I needle turned some deer and elk and still have those hanging on a wall. I have recently done several with fusible web and I quilt the edges with clear thread as she recommends. Decide if you want an heirloom or a wall hanging just for fun and then you will know what type of applique to choose. I have tried many fusibles and still haven't found one I am in love with. Go with a light weight for sure.

Here's a closeup shot of the wall art quilt I did with Misty Fuse. I stitched close to the edge of these sunflowers on the longarm. It's been a couple of years now. Since it's not washed, nor will it be, it still looks like the day I quilted it. I will say with Misty Fuse the needle didn't gum up at all.

post-5206-0-17226000-1412132140_thumb.jpg

Archived