LeMoyne Star vs Lonestar

I've had this stupid, insignificant question rattling around my mind for 2 bloody days.

One of the blogs I read posted a block of what I thought was a LeMoyne star.

She called it a Lonestar.

I commented I thought it was LeMoyne, but no matter what she called it, it was beautiful.

She answered me back that the block has about 10 different names, LeMoyne & Lonestar being 2 of them.

I'm wondering, isn't there a difference?

Isn't a Lonestar a LeMoyne that keeps radiating out?

I always thought Lonestar was the name of a quilt made of 1 big star?

Am I crazy to even care?

I've really got to get a life.

If you can clarify, I'd be most appreciative.

XO

Thanks, ladies.

I feel better now.

I know it's silly, but I just could not stop thinking about it.

Now, I shall search for another insignificant thing to obsess over.

Take it from me, it's not easy being nuts!

Oh my stars!!  This could develop into quite the string of comments, but so fun!

What about a Feathered Lemoyne Star? 

Honestly, I've made a few Long Stars and they are the star where each "radiant" is made from diamond shapes. Or, that's what the pattern said it was anyway!

I'm sure a true quilting "star" will set us straight!

I've been unable to post pics here for some time. My Flickr account became a mystery. I can not longer access it.

But, I've copied a link to my blog post with LeMoyne stars in it...

http://theonewiththreadsonherclothes.blogspot.com/2014/07/lemoyne-starstruck.html

I've yet to make a Lonestar quilt, but it starts with a LeMoyne star and the diamonds continue out to make a bigger, more complex star. They're so cool...definitely on my bucket list.

I have always thought as you do, and I believe you're right...if we're speaking in terms of what's correct and incorrect.  LOL  I don't think it's a regional thing either - you know how one area of the country thinks of a block as one name while another thinks of it as another name...but maybe she's thinking of the overall grid of a lone star being similar to a lemoyne?  Maybe she read or saw it somewhere and that's just how it connected for her....I don't think it's "correct", but anyone with a computer and access to the world wide web can start a blog so I kind of take what I read with a grain of salt.  I also don't know everything so hey, maybe we all just learned something new!

Here's a great example on Jinny Beyer's site of how a lone star grid is sort of set up like a lemoyne star...maybe this concept is what caused her confusion?  Especially if she has and uses Electric Quilt because the blocks are sometimes labeled by the overall grid...

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-with-jinny/tips-lessons/detail.cfm?instanceId=867230B9-EEE6-7FB3-9954BB98981E6E85

Thanks for the visual Cindy!

I can't seem to post pics here anymore as I've lost access to my Flickr.

I'm still searching for a new, insignificant obsession.

:P

Here's a Lonestar blocks vs. one of Meg's LeMoyne Star blocks.

Archived