To ditch or not to ditch

I am quilting a quilt with several flags in it. The flags are about 12 x 16". I would like to enter it in a show, Do I stitch in the ditch along the stripes and around the star blocks, hoping I can do it well or do I just quilt, as I so far have done, the curvy lines in the stripes and the design in the stars? If I stitch in the ditch and the stitching is not all perfect, won't count off for that? Thanks for your help. Jan

I agree that a picture would help, but from the description I would say that you can just use the wavy lines in the stripes and designs in the stars, as long as you are mostly filling those shapes.  As far as how that will affect you in a show, I don't know.  I have only had one quilt accepted into a show, and it didn't do well.

If the stars and stripes are pieced and not printed on the fabric, SID is a good idea if you're entering it to be judged. If the flags are printed, outlining the stars and maybe stitching down the background with a denser filler will do a lot to make the stars prominent. It depends on the stitching density of the rest of the top---12" X 16" blocks definitely need some stitching inside. 

Hmmm - I would love to see a photo also - not only to help answer your question, but it sounds like a really cool quilt!  I think for judging ditching is a good idea.  Another thought, it sounds like you might also be suggesting that ditch work is not your strong suit?  I felt that way for a long time about my own stitch in the ditch!  Nothing helped but loads of practice.  A little tip if that IS the case - something thin like Invisifil or Bottom Line in a blending shade are more forgiving of hiccups.  Unfortunately straight lines and circles will be less forgiving no matter what thread you use...but I think a thin thread really makes a difference.  :)

I seem to always end up doing a lot of SID.  It seems to be a great way to stabilize the quilt, and my designs are almost always based on the quilt piecing.  Most of it is done free hand.  About the only time I use a ruler is when I have long diagonal lines.  I use my channel locks a lot.  Most of my stitching ends up on one side of the ditch or the other (it's a lot easier to get straight lines out side of the seam).  About 1/32" on the fabric.  I try and use a color thread that matches one of the fabrics, or that disappears into the background.  Bottom Line Taupe is great, but I use it mostly for the bobbin.  I use a lot of YLI Longarm Professional "Vanilla Milkshake" or "Parchament".   Jim

When doing SID, I am much smoother by adding my base expander.  Puts just enough drag on the machine to keep me more stable.  For horizontal or vertical lines I don't use a ruler as a general rule, but use one for diagonals.

What about backtracking?  Is it tacky to try to re-stitch over something you've already stitched and have it show on the backing? Or is it better to do many many starts and stops?

Archived