Border print quilting?

Hello All....

I'm hoping someone has had experience with border prints or has some ideas about how to quilt this border. I don't want to distort the pansy border print too much with quilting, but I want something that will be attractive. This is the first time I've been faced with this on a customer quilt. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cynthia

post-5913-0-07197900-1413171039_thumb.jpg

That's a very pretty floral stripe. Traditionally, a floral stripe would be outlined and then enough of the interior design accented with outlining so it's interesting and balanced.

Using thin black thread, you might outline the edge of the green leaves, staying on the black side. Then using a medium lilac (or better yet, invisible thread) outline both side edges of the pansies next to the green leaves.  If it's obvious that more stitching is needed within the pansy stripe, one line of stitching around the edges of the pansies in the center will nail it down. You can figure a logical path before by tracing through. Use a removable marker to show your path within the first foot or so. After stitching through a repeat or two it will become easier. If your customer is paying for custom, more pansy outlining can be done for a sculptured effect and the black background can be densely filled.

Archived